Film Review-Treacle Jr.

Aiden Gillen is outstanding...

Fionn Fitzpatrick-

What turned out to be an innocuous technical fault resulted in a 15 minute delay for the screening of Treacle Jr. at the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival last night. However, the awkward slinking figure of Aidan Gillen quietly entering the theatre to apologise more than made up for the wait. Shuffling shyly, he allowed writer/director Jamie Thraves to make the formal introductions. Describing a difficult journey—including having to re-mortgage his house with his wife to finance the film—Thraves did not inspire confidence in an audience that admittedly knew little about the movie besides Gillen’s involvement. However, the rapturous applause during the closing credits was not of sympathy; Treacle Jr. is a terrific film.

It follows Tom, a family-man who leaves his domestic bliss one day to become anonymous in the big city and escape a deep emotional problem we never get to the bottom of.  He’s played competently by Tom Fisher, who is basically asked to walk about smoking, looking a bit like Sean Bean and not really saying much. He soon crosses paths with Aidan (Aidan Gillen), an instantly lovable simpleton with an intriguing optimism, who attaches himself to Tom immediately. The two eventually come to rely on each other, knowingly or not, and form a bond that transcends the wreck their lives have become.

Gillen is simply fantastic throughout. It’s the stand-out performance of his career, imbuing Aidan with a strength and resistance, but also fragility. In what is effectively a black-comedy, he’s also absolutely hilarious. From enthusing about The White Stripes—where  he tells Tom he’s going to take the concept of just vocals, guitar and drums “one step further…just vocals and drums!”—to asking Tom if 14% meat in ravioli is still too much for the vegetarian, there were laughs in every scene for Aidan.

Considering the film was made on a shoe-string—noticeable by the limited cast and conservative cinematography—Treacle Jr. is even more impressive for its sharp script and terrific performances.

A beautiful and deeply touching black comedy, I am more than optimistic Treacle Jr. will achieve that UK distribution Thraves so desperately deserves. Funny, moving and optimistic; a must-see!

4/5