In the Morning…

Doreen Burke & Negar Sharafi

Still hungover from St Patrick’s Day? Feel like those 19 pints of the black stuff are having a dance off in your stomach? The three naggins you downed before the parade are debating their nationality in your head? The bottle of vino that cost you a fiver has made your mouth as dry as a cracker sandwich? Are you in desperate need of mobile iv vitamins austin to recover?

Well fear not. This article aims to soak up every millilitre of fermented apple, potato, grape, or cotton out of your system. And not a greasy curry chip or 3-in-1 insight!

Your mother may insist that the best way to cure a hangover is to not drink yourself into abyss, but, hello, since when was your mother right?! Since at least the early 1990s anyway. Alcoholic abstinence simply isn’t an option. So instead we’ve compiled a list of (apparent) hangover preventatives and cures.

According to one Southside based pharmacist the headache caused by over consumption of alcohol is caused by dehydration. She recommends a glass of water with a soluble vitamin tablet such as a Berocca before bed to ease the morning throb. Even better would be to take one glass of water per unit of alcohol while out drinking.But honestly, who thinks about the hangover when you’re out dancing and drinking in a club? So maybe the best idea would be to have a bottle of water and some vitamin tabs by your bed to drown yourself in before departing to the land of nod.

It is also good to understand that alcohol is an irritant on the lining of the stomach and so an antacid like a glass of milk before your take off to inebriation station could also help minimise the effects of heavy drinking.

In Mediterranean countries it is recommended to swallow a spoonful of olive oil before drinking, but since that is pretty disgusting (tried it myself), it might be more enjoyable to just eat some greasy food, especially if you’re planning on drinking over a longer period of time. The oil is supposed to prevent alcohol from getting absorbed by your body too fast, but it has yet to be proved whether that actually works.

Probably the best liquid solution

Probably the best liquid solution

Eggs are the ultimate hangover cure. They provide intoxicated with several essential vitamins and minerals as well as protein, which you all lose after a crazy night of heavy alcohol consumption. Protein is a key factor in promoting the regeneration of damaged cells
Eggs are also especially convenient on those days you wake up with a pulsating headache and no proper food at home. An omelette is the easiest thing to make, even when hungover (see recipe for Spanish Omelette below).

Feeling like you really can’t stomach any solid food? A smoothie might be the perfect solution for you! Frozen berries and available at any time of the year in supermarkets. Blend a handful of berries (or add a banana for even more nutrients) with some natural or fruit yogurt for a soothing remedy for your uneasy stomach.

So make your hangover worth it and know what foods are good to get you on the road to sobriety. You’ll be dealing with hangovers all your (student) life so it’s better to know how to cure them or at least attempt to!

*Spanish Omelette

(if you’re feeling fresh enough make this as soon as you want to eat it but it is also good the next day, cold or warmed up)
5 eggs
1 potato peeled and cubed
1tbsp milk
Olive oil for frying
Salt and pepper
Optional additions: Cheese such a cheddar, feta, gouda etc, fried onions, tomato slices, ham, fried chorizo, sweet potato cubed and fried, baby spinach leaves, chili flakes, pine nuts, fresh herbs…the list is endless.

Heat up the oil is a heavy based pan. Add the potato and fry until soft. Try not to let it crisp but rather saute so that it is softened and coked all the way through. Remove from the heat and fry any other ingredients of choice. Beat the eggs together with the salt and pepper and a dash of milk. Mix with all the ingredients and add back into the pan. Cover with the lid and allow to cook for about 5 minutes depending on the thickness of the omelette. To cook on the other side place a plate over the pan, flip it out (careful of any hot oil spill) and replace, uncooked side down, into the pan. Cook until golden brown.
This omelette is great served warm but is also great cold a la Spanish tapas bars! So cook a few hours before you drink and cut off a hunk of it for a bit of post-drink soakage!