CICE to sever ties with Trinity

The Church of Ireland College of Education (CICE) has unanimously passed a motion to terminate its longstanding relationship with Trinity College Dublin. In a statement made on behalf of the board of governors of CICE, the teaching institution was critical of Trinity’s ‘unwillingness to allow for the retention of CICE’s four core principles in any collaborative arrangement’.

The Church of Ireland College of Education in Rathmines is to end its strategic relationship with Trinity College.

Vladimir Rakhmanin | Deputy Online editor

In a statement made on behalf of the Board of Governors of CICE on 13th November 2012, the college expressed several issues they had with maintaining the college’s strategic partnership with Trinity. Some of the dissatisfaction came from the fact that Trinity would not permit the college to retain its CICE name, due to the fact that the college is strictly secular. The 52-year-old college has been one of Trinity’s longstanding partners.

The board of governors stated that unanimous decision was made in the interest of safeguarding CICE’s guiding principles: ‘Safeguarding and enhancing the holistic educational experience of all students in CICE; Retention of CICE’s identity in terms of its ethos and culture, including its relationship with and responsibility to the network of primary schools throughout the State under Reformed Christian patronage; Affirmation of and formal positive acknowledgement of, and respect for the values, origins and traditions of CICE; Protection and equality of recognition for the rights of CICE staff who are all public servants.’

The statement confirmed that CICE have entered formal discussions relating to structure and governance with DCU with a view to establishing a strategic partnership that would make CICE ‘a recognised equal partner at the decision-making table’.

Aside from the issues mentioned above, CICE were also displeased with Trinity only favouring those options which allowed for the assimilation of CICE within an expanded School of Education. Also, no discussion was possible at the negotiations with regard to the continuation of the restricted entry route to the B.Ed for Church of Ireland candidates and those of other Reformed Christian backgrounds.

The college has been looking into various options over the summer – it has expressed interest in working with DCU, as the university’s partner institutions, St. Patrick’s College Drumcondra and Mater Dei Institute of Education, ‘pledged to support the distinctive ethos, culture and mission of CICE as an equal partner in the process.’

In a recent University Council, Trinity College stated that it was ‘sorry to lose its long-standing relationship with the CICE but respects the decision of the CICE’s Board of Governors’. Trinity College Dublin declined to comment further on the nature of the split. Professor Walsh, of the School of Education, expressed the School’s regret about the CICE’s decision to end the relationship. Dr Anne Lodge, principal of CICE, in speaking with The University Times, stated the following: ‘As the discussions are ongoing, it is not appropriate for me to comment publicly beyond the agreed public statements of the Board and those of the four institutions in the DCU-led configuration discussing the establishment of an Institute of Education. Both CICE and Trinity College are autonomous institutions which each respect the rights of the other to form alliances as suit their strategic planning.’