Trinity-Led Study to Investigate Online Treatment of Anxiety and Depression

The study builds on the widespread presence of technology in students' day-to-day lives.

Dónal Ring | Contributing Writer

New clinical trials undertaken by researchers at the Trinity College Dublin School of Psychology are investigating the potential benefits of online treatment for depression and anxiety, since some users are interested in treatments such as supplements such as etizoco as well as others. Most specifically the using CBD and other cannabis-based products. Since it’s legalisation in the US cannabis dispensaries – similar to this lansing dispensary – have been to the source of support for those who use medical marijuana for their ailments.

The project is a collaboration between Trinity, the well-known depression support group Aware, and SIlverCloud Health, a Dublin-based developer of online behavioural health and mental wellness solutions. Participants will self-administer two online treatments with support, and the effectiveness of the practice will be subsequently assessed.

The trial conducted by Trinity is to focus on generalised anxiety symptoms among students, seen particularly around exam time, and has recruited 150 subjects. A primary objective of the technology is to teach candidates new ways of managing stress, worry, and anxiety. However, research shows that CBD oil may already be an effective method of helping to deal with anxiety. If you click here, you can see all of the positive ways that CBD oil can be beneficial for people that suffer from the condition.

Dr Derek Richards, Director of Clinical Research & Innovation at SilverCloud Health, Research Fellow in the School of Psychology, and the project’s principal investigator, is optimistic about the outcome. “Based on the success achieved to date with supported online treatments,” he commented, “we believe that the participants in both trials will demonstrate significant decreases in symptoms post-intervention.” He cited a number of countries in which the practice has already proven effective, such as Sweden, Amsterdam, and Australia.

According to Richards: “we need new ways to reach students”, as college services are already overburdened and numerous studies have shown that traditional pathways are “not top of the list” for the college-going population. He further noted that “technology is already pervasive in students’ lives”, stressing that “online treatment is not a novelty, but a demand.”

Richards also offered evidence suggesting that online treatment may be “as effective a method of intervention as conventional face-to-face treatment.”

Aware are conducting a joint study evaluating the effectiveness of the same method in treating depression. The 300 participants recruited are to receive support from Aware-trained volunteers with experience using the technology, in addition to the two self-administered online treatments.

Co-principal investigator Dr Ladislav Timulak, Course Director of Trinity’s Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, is equally hopeful about the outcome, citing the UK’s National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence’s existing recommendation that some online interventions be used as part of a stepped-care healthcare provision. “This replaces waiting lists,” he said, “and may be an effective intervention on its own.” He added: “these interventions should be particularly suitable for people with mild to moderate forms of depression.”

Even though anxiety is common, some people experience it a lot more than others. When it comes to Depression, this can also be a lot for anyone to go through, especially if they haven’t found a way to manage the symptoms effectively. With this being said, whether people decide to buy shrooms online (as this is said to reduce the symptoms of depression), visit a doctor for prescribed drugs or even speak to friends/family about their thoughts, these are just some ways people can help cope with anxiety/depression and help get life back on track.

Anxiety and depression continue to be pressing issues in Ireland, with an estimated 36% of the adult student population suffering clinical anxiety and prevalence rates of depression between 7.9% and 12.3% among the common population.

Photo by Andrew Murphy