The Challenge in Balancing the Abortion Debate

The union's mandated stance on abortion has left some students feeling alienated, and some considering finding a way to leave the union altogether.

James Shaw and Charlotte Ryan
TCDSU officially launched its repeal the campaign on Tuesday October 7th with a panel discussion that almost filled the 400-seat Edmund Burke Theatre.

As Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) gears up its efforts in support of the campaign to repeal the eighth amendment, there remains a significant cohort of students who find themselves at odds with the union’s position. Students who, for whatever reason, do not adopt a pro-choice standpoint. This has resulted in some feeling excluded from a union whose stated purpose is to represent all students, whether that be to the College or in the wider political sphere. As the union tries to accommodate the views of all students, their stance has led some to consider ways to leave it altogether.

When a motion first came to TCDSU’s council as to whether or not the union should hold a referendum on the issue, many spoke about how the issue was not strictly a “student issue” and that taking a stance on the issue would alienate much of the student body. Despite this, a referendum on the issue was held, with 73 per cent of voting students supporting the motion.

In an email statement responding to questions from the The University Times, Gavin Rothwell, the student who organised the no campaign in that referendum, stated: “The SU has failed completely to realise the diversity of the student body, and now thinks of itself as some sort of aspirational political party”, explaining that he “no longer can in good conscience be a member of the SU. Advocating such a pro-choice position is something which very seriously violates my conscience.” Rothwell currently serves as Vice President of Trinity’s Christian Union society, but noted that he could not speak on behalf of the society with respect to its position on this matter.

Rothwell states: “If no accommodation is made with the SU to make it inclusive of people of all opinions within our union, I, along with a significant minority of students in the coming days and weeks intend to pursue leaving the SU, with the help of the newly launched organisation ‘Irish Students for Free Association’”.

The organisation is campaigning for the the abolition of compulsory membership of students’ unions

Irish Students for Free Association was set up in September of this year by UCD graduate Samuel O’Connor. The organisation is campaigning for the the abolition of compulsory membership of students’ unions and advocating that students be expressly asked whether or not they wish to join the union. In 2013, O’Connor founded the group “UCD Students Against Abortion”, which demanded UCD Students’ Union reconsider and reverse their stance on abortion following a preferendum held in the college that year.

This is not, of course, the first time that the TCDSU has had a position on an issue that does not affect students directly in their capacity as students. The union has a mandate to support and campaign for marriage equality, something that it did publicly and successfully, and without much controversy, in the run up to this year’s referendum. However, student opposition to marriage equality stood at less than 8 per cent in a 2013 referendum held by TCDSU, much less than the 27 per cent who voted against the backing of the abortion under the request of the woman when TCDSU held a referendum on the issue in 2014.

The question of what exactly students’ unions should focus on has not been ultimately answered. In a survey undertaken by TCDSU last year, as part of the consultation for its strategic plan, students ranked political and social campaigns as the union’s most effective activity, but among its least important – instead deeming the union’s most important responsibilities to lie in the areas of representation and student services. Indeed, many would argue that the union would be best served to focus on directly student issues – such as fees, accommodation costs, increasing class sizes, and Trinity’s seemingly perpetual slide in world rankings.

The fact remains, however, that the union has a clear mandate to advocate for abortion rights, a position decided upon by students. The argument that the union should take no stance on the issue is one that was presented in 2014 by the no campaign in the referendum, and was rejected by a wide margin. Thus, whether or not all students are happy about it, the union would be widely criticised for ignoring its own mandate. The question is, then, how they can go about it without alienating much of the student body.

Many would argue that the union would be best served to focus on directly student issues

Speaking to The University Times, the President of TCDSU, Lynn Ruane, asserted that “just because there is opposition doesn’t mean we ignore the mandate given by students”. This is an important point: opposition necessarily exists in politics, and is not necessarily sufficient reason to ignore a position one is mandated to advocate.

On Tuesday October 7th, TCDSU officially launched their repeal the eighth campaign with a panel discussion on the issue. In her opening remarks, Ruane acknowledged that not all students present, and indeed not all students in the College, were in agreement with the union’s stance, and promised that the union’s campaign would respect that fact. Throughout the debate, she chastised the panel’s guests when she felt they were not treating the views of those in the audience with respect. Before the discussion started, Ruane read out the email of such a student, Ciara O’Rouke, who was looking to form an informal meeting group of students who wish to learn more about the pro-life standpoint.

Speaking to The University Times via email, O’Rourke added that, while she would not be seeking to leave the union over their stance, she wished “the SU wasn’t campaigning on this divisive an issue on behalf of the entire student body when it is impossible for dissenters to campaign on their own behalves through societies.” Societies in Trinity are not permitted to espouse political opinions, meaning that TCDSU is one of the only college groups that can represent Trinity students on political issues.

When asked if she felt the union’s campaign was respecting opposing views she responded: “For me, respect isn’t the issue. It’s more a matter of whether people are going to have access to all the information when they’re making their minds up on this. Currently, pro-choice views have a huge platform. There is no equivalent platform for pro-lifers so you worry people won’t be getting all the facts, or the other side of the story.”

“Currently, pro-choice views have a huge platform. There is no equivalent platform for pro-lifers”

She articulated her desire for more perspectives to be represented: “I’m a pro-life, non-religious feminist and it would be easy for people to be completely unaware of that kind of perspective”. While O’Rourke clarified that the group will not be campaigning or organising events, at least partly because she believes such events would not be permitted in the College, she is looking to get together a group of like-minded people in an informal setting, “specially aimed at people, who’d have wavered on the issue for a while, or who don’t really fit the ‘typical’ pro-lifer’ profile.” O’Rourke added: ”I’d obviously also welcome people who are sure of their views, are already active on this, or who’d belong to social groups who’d traditionally be very involved in the movement. But I’m especially going for the pro-life people who would be a bit uneasy about ever going to a pro-life meeting because they’re not sure to expect.”

Given the polarising effect that these issues have, and considering that the union is, at its core, a representative body for students, campaigns centred on student issues as opposed to ethical ones would see the entire student body come together without controversy or the issue of exclusion. Without the union taking a stance on these issues, however, students are left with no college outlet for political expression, and important issues for young people – such as marriage equality – would see significantly less student input. At the crux of the matter is the reality that any student can force the union to hold a referendum on any issue, as long as they collect 250 signatures.

Trinity is, at its core, a very liberal university. Consider the student who finds themselves on the other side of union campaigns in a university where already the popular sentiment, as expressed in publications such as this one, is that of a liberal nature. The struggle of Renua – a self-described centre-right party – to obtain the required 200 signatures in order to register as a student society in Trinity is perhaps indicative of such liberal tendencies. However, there is a clear implication for those who don’t align themselves accordingly: they are excluded, or at least feel excluded. Rothwell confirmed this position, admitting that “it can be very alienating to dissent from SU positions”, going on to point out “there are many issues which can unite the student body”.

But the majority of students in Trinity, or at least those who chose to voice their opinion when asked, advocate strongly for the pro-choice position. Ruane said said she “100 per cent” stood over the campaign adding that it is “a social issue which affects students”.

Ruane states: “I know many women in Trinity who have been negatively affected by not having access to free, safe and legal abortions”. For these women, having the backing of an union campaign, led by the strong voice of Ruane, gives them a platform and reach which they would otherwise struggle to achieve, particularly in the current political landscape of Ireland.

The majority of students in Trinity, or at least those who chose to voice their opinion when asked, advocate strongly for the pro-choice position

In this sense, the campaign can be seen as commendable and, for those who advocate for it, this support is invaluable. Ruane points to the student support of the marriage equality referendum, which “shows the power in the student community”. While parallels are inevitably drawn to student engagement with the marriage equality referendum, which may ultimately have lead to its passing, the abortion issue remains a more contentious issue.

It is also worth noting that, at the time TCDSU held their own marriage equality campaign, a national referendum was going to take place. While abortion remains a topic under discussion in Irish life, a referendum on the subject is not currently on the horizon. Thus there is a subtle distinction to be made: in this case, the union is attempting to get the issue on the government’s agenda in the first place.

The union is caught in the debate as to whether or not representation on these issues is advised if it leads to the alienation of a significant proportion of the student body, and whether or not the union would be best served campaigning on those issues that affect students at an academic level. While many assume that the union’s position reflects the stance of the vast majority of students, such an assumption can be dangerous. Regardless, the union has been mandated by the students to hold this campaign and it will continue with it.