Senior Tutor and Head of Counselling Service in Paris to Support Trinity Erasmus Students

Dr Claire Laudet and and Dr Deirdre Flynn have been in Paris since Monday, providing support to Trinity students on Erasmus in the city.

Dominic McGrathNews Editor

The Senior Tutor and the Head of the Student Counselling Service flew to Paris earlier this week to provide support to Trinity’s Erasmus students after last Friday’s terrorist attacks, which left 129 people dead.

Dr Claire Laudet, the Senior Tutor, and Dr Deirdre Flynn, the Head of the Student Counselling Service, arrived in Paris on Monday. On Wednesday night, they both addressed all Trinity students currently in the city, and offered them the opportunity to talk on a one-to-one basis.

There are four universities in Paris currently attended by Trinity students: Paris-Sciences Po, the business schools ECSP-EAP Paris and HEC Paris, and Université de Paris Diderot-Paris VII. Paris is a popular destination for Irish Erasmus students.

Both Laudet and Flynn are staying in Paris until later today, and are expected to leave tomorrow. They will continue to offer students the opportunity to talk to them on a confidential, individual basis until then.

In an email statement to The University Times, Laudet stated that “the students are really appreciating the support they are receiving from the whole College community, students and staff alike”, adding that they are “very touched at the idea of the vigil for all victims of terrorism and war organised by the SU this evening in Trinity”. A candlelight vigil, organised in association with Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union and the Society for International Affairs, is due to take place this evening in Front Square.

Speaking to The University Times by phone, computer science and French student Eoin Murphy, who is currently studying in Université de Paris Diderot-Paris VII, expressed his gratitude to College: “I think it’s great they flew the Senior Tutor out here, and the Head of the Counselling Service, that is fantastic”. He added that, “people seemed to benefit from talking to them yesterday”.

French officials said yesterday that they have identified all 129 people who were killed on Friday. Over the past four days, French police have conducted over 400 raids, with 60 people having been arrested or detained in connection with the attacks.

The French President, François Hollande, announced yesterday at a meeting of French mayors that local police forces across the country would be provided with weapons and bulletproof vests if they requested them.