New Student Group, “World For World”, to Provide Translation Service for Student Refugees

The group hopes to use Trinity students to create a not-for-profit translation service, with proceeds from which going to the Trinity Humanitarian Fund.

Dominic McGrathNews Editor
Eavan McLoughlin for The University Times

A student group, “World for World”, spoke this evening at Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union Council (TCDSU), outlining their plans to launch a translation service run by international students in Trinity in aid of refugees seeking access to third-level education in Ireland.

The group, which aims to create a not-for-profit social entrepenuer project, hopes to use students from Trinity to create a translation service, with all proceeds from the project going to the Trinity Humanitarian Fund. Businesses that may have an high demand from refugees for their services, such as hostels, would be asked to donate to the project in return for translations.

Started by Rosalie Engles, the International Officer of TCDSU, and Leon Kohl, the group emphasised that with Trinity students coming from 122 countries, the service will have a strong base to provide this service to refugees who want to continue to third-level education.

They also hope that the service will prove profitable enough to provide scholarships to asylum seekers in the future. Under the current system, asylum seekers who want to continue to higher education must pay €15,000 a year.

Engels conceded that they will not be able to change the current system, but “in the short term we can raise awareness and generate money to offer financial support”.

While Engels conceded that “this is still very much in the basic stages”, they hope to lobby College to language courses in Trinity to make the project part of the assessment for fourth year students, with Trinity professors correcting students’ translation.

Speaking to The University Times, Engels said: “We’re hoping that a lot of people show up and that we can get this going as soon as possible.”

She added: “I think students really connect with the issue, and are in a better position to help than maybe a college official.”

Speaking at TCDSU Council, the President of TCDSU, Lynn Ruane, called it an “absolutely brilliant idea” and called on the newly elected TCDSU Access Officer, Ola Bademosi, to support the project by working with the group.

The first meeting of the group will take place this Friday.

Sinéad Baker also contributed reporting to this piece.