TCDSU Elections 2016

Glen Byrne Elected Communications and Marketing Officer of TCDSU

Byrne won on the first count with 54.2 per cent of the vote in a tight race with Emmet Broaders.

Sinead Loftus and Dominic McGrath
Sam McAllister for The University Times

Fourth-year law student Glen Byrne has been elected Communications & Marketing Officer of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) this evening. He beat his opponent, Emmet Broaders, on the first count, with 54.2 per cent of the votes.

On Tuesday, The University Times, in three-day in-person poll of 1,007 students, put Byrne as set to take 56.7 per cent of first-preference votes, with Broaders on 39.6 per cent.

Last year saw current officer, Aifric Ní Chríodáin, win the position over Jemma O’Leary, the first year that the position was elected after the split of the position of communications officer and editor of The University Times.

Byrne ran on the platform of transparency and representation, aiming to promote sponsorship and student union services. He also promised to improve the union’s presence online, with goals of bringing in an online-voting system and integrating a job-finding system into the current TCDSU App.

Like most races, there were very few clashes between Byrne and Broaders, with both agreeing that there shouldn’t be priority given to either communications or marketing, and that both were equally important.