Outgoing Phil President, Ludivine Rebet, Elected Chair of CSC

Ronan MacGiolla Rua was elected Treasurer of the CSC, while Patrick O’Boyle was voted in as Secretary, in the vote that took place this evening.

Dominic McGrathNews Editor

President of the University Philosophical Society, Ludivine Rebet, has been elected chair of the Central Societies Committee (CSC) at their AGM this evening.

Rebet defeated treasurer of DU Singers, Matt Murtagh, and former treasurer of DU Players, Maeve Walsh, to win the position.

Speaking at the AGM, Rebet repeatedly promised to hold college to account over the support it provides for Trinity societies: “College says it loves societies…I want to be the chair that holds college to account for that.”

The CSC is the body responsible for supporting and regulating student societies, and is one of the five capitated bodies in College.

Secretary of the College Historical Society, Ronan MacGiolla Rua, was elected treasurer of the CSC, defeating treasurer of the Phil, Stepan Lavrouk. MacGiolla Rua also helped found the Social Democrats in Trinity, and joked that he’s had experience running the “largest society on campus, as well as the smallest”.

The third candidate on the ballot, Michael Scholz, was declared invalid due to being off-books this year.

Current president of the Computer Science Society (DUCSS), Patrick O’Boyle, was also voted in as secretary of the CSC. He highlighted his involvement and experience across a range of societies to defeat his comepetitors Paul Miller and Grace Kelly, who have been involved in Players and the Literary Society, respectively.

Brian McMahon defeated Molly McEvoy to be elected Amenities Officer. Both candidates had past experience as members of the executive of DU Players.

Eight ordinary committee members on the CSC executive were also elected at the AGM. These were Matthew Armitage, Shannon Buckley Barnes, Adam Cahill, Maeve Walshe, Úna Harty, Cormac Henehan, Greta Warren and Dahnan Spurling.

Correction: 23:26, March 23rd, 2016
An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Maeve Walsh was a candidate for Amenities Officer. In fact, the second candidate in the race was Molly McEvoy. It also referred to the Computer Science Society as DUCC. In fact, they are DUCSS.

Correction: August 25th, 2016
An earlier version of this article incorrectly referred to the College Historical Society as the University Historical Society.