Sara Ní Lochlainn Elected JCR President with 66.7% of Vote

Joe Mangan has been elected Vice President/Treasurer.

Aoife O'Donoghue and Edmund Heaphy
Edmund Heaphy for The University Times

Sara Ní Lochlainn has been elected President of Trinity Hall JCR, with 66.7 per cent of the vote. Joe Mangan has been elected Vice-President and Treasurer, with 59.8 per cent of the vote.

Ní Lochlainn, from Derry, spoke strongly about first-year representation throughout the election, and emphasised the implementation of a house rep system, where each house would be represented by a first-year student at JCR meetings once a month. As someone who is already greatly involved in College life, as part of the Halls Ents Committee and TCDSU’s Welfare Committee, Ní Lochlainn wants to reduce the “stigma” attached to attending events alone by bringing “society reps” to Halls for Freshers’ Week events, so that people who are interested in societies can meet like-minded people. She believes that everyone should take “advantage” of College life. House-hunting workshops and flat-mate finding events were also key policies for Ní Lochlainn, who promises to be a “constant support” for first-year students.

At the count, which took place in Mother Reilly’s pub in Rathmines, nine other candidates were elected to the committee. Sam White was elected Music Officer, Caoimhe Cotter was elected Sports Officer, Rob O’Donnell was elected International Officer, Trisha Cusack was elected Entertainments Officer, James Cunningham was elected Welfare Officer and Laura Grant was elected Secretary. Three positions were appointed by interview, with Rory Saunders being appointed Technical Officer, and Annie Rose and Lisa Murray being appointed Publications Officer, and Communications Officer, respectively.

The new JCR committee will take over in May for the 2016/17 academic year.