Shane Collins Elected President of GSU, with Elisa Crespo Vice-President

Collins was elected on the second count, just 10 votes ahead of Ari Fogelson. Crespo received 62 per cent of the vote.

Eleanor O'MahonyAssistant News Editor
Shane Collins, the newly elected GSU President, will take office in July.
Campaign photo

Shane Collins has been elected President of the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) on the second count. Collins received 39 per cent of first preferences, and was elected on the second count without reaching the quota, just 10 votes ahead of Ari Fogelson.

Collins ran on the platform of institutional reform, increased representation on internal committees, promotion of fourth-level education and infrastructural development.

Speaking to The University Times, Collins stated: “I’m delighted for myself and our team. This week was a long week, and at times, a difficult week, but the central focus remained on the policies. It was clear to our team that they resonated with not only the graduate students here in Trinity but all students. It’s important that postgraduates have a voice both within the university and on a national scale and this will be a key platform going forward.”

He continued: “I just would like to thank Ari and Lorcan for being excellent candidates and good friends. The race was extremely close which I think is a reflection on how important our policies are to the student body. Finally my sincere gratitude to James Peoples, our campaign manager, our extended team, Katie, Gianna and the GSU, and to you, our student body for putting your faith in me. I promise not to disappoint and look forward to working with Kieran McNulty on common issues facing students.”

Elisa Crespo was elected Vice-President of the GSU on the first count. Crespo won with 62 per cent of the vote, beating Stacey Juengling.

Crespo ran on a platform of building a community for postgraduate students, increasing institutional collaboration between the GSU and other bodies in college and increasing the hardship fund.

Speaking to The University Times, Crespo stated: “I want all the postgraduate students, present and future, to be part of the postgraduate community that the GSU stands for.”

Speaking to The University Times, Katie Crowther said she was “excited to see the new President and Vice President lead the GSU and support and advocate for postgraduates across the various campuses”. She continued: “All the candidates did a supreme job and should be really proud of how they have engaged in student politics and raised their teams into action. I recall this time last year and the sheer pressure and desire to succeed and be able to take up the privileged position of representing postgrads. I have had a fantastic year working for students with incredible people across the different faculties and departments and I am so happy to be able to introduce the newly elected team and continue the great work of the GSU for the postgraduate community.”