TCDSU Votes to Spend €4,000 from Student Fund on College Creche Redevelopment

The “Art for Health” Initiative, which will see students work to improve the state of the College Creche, was passed at TCDSU Council this evening.

Dominic McGrathNews Editor
Edmund Heaphy for The University Times

An “Art for Health Initiative”, which will see an improvement of the area around the College creche, will begin in September, after a motion on the initiative passed overwhelmingly at Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council this evening.

The initiative, which was proposed by Student Parents Officer, Matthew Moore, will receive €3,950 in funding from the Higher Education Authority (HEA) fund, which can be used by TCDSU to pay for projects with non-recurring costs.

Much of the costs of the initiative will come from the cost of an external project co-ordinator, who will liaise with suppliers and staff from Trinity’s Estates and Facilities Office.

Speaking to The University Times, Moore emphasied that the aim of the initiative is to “improve the area around the creche and the Health Centre”.

Moore added he hoped that “there will be student involvement in its implementation.”

The initiative looks to harness the skills of Trinity students to help redevelop the centre, which has been due a redevelopment in recent years. Moore emphasised that this would be an opportunity for students to get involved and leave a mark in College.

The fund in question arose after the HEA fined Trinity in 2012 for improper stipends to tutors.