Trinity Centre for Digital Humanities to Launch Friday

The new centre at the Long Room Hub will serve as an opportunity for collaboration between humanities and sciences experts on digital projects.

Paul GlynnCo-Editor-at-Large

Trinity’s new Centre for Digital Humanities is to be officially launched tomorrow at the Trinity Long Room Hub Arts and Humanities Research Institute.

The new centre will allow for researchers and experts in arts and humanities fields to collaborate with computer science and engineering specialists in creating platforms for accessing large volumes of historical research and primary sources, including materials from the College Library collection.
Commenting on the opportunity for integrating research efforts between the disciplines in a press release, Prof Owen Conlan, co-director of the centre, said: “Over the last 20 years computer science has grown from a discipline that only big business engaged with to something that impacts and influences the daily lives of ordinary people. Through working with humanities researchers we can ensure our technologies evolve and innovate with a multidisciplinary perspective.” Dr Jennifer Redmond will also co-direct the centre.

Prof Jane Ohlmeyer, Director of the Long Room Hub, also lauded the centre’s opening, stating: “The research area of Digital Humanities has been a priority for the Trinity Long Room Hub since its foundation in 2006. We are now delighted to be the host institute for the Centre for Digital Humanities at Trinity, leveraging Trinity’s reputation as a global reference point for research and teaching excellence in Digital Humanities and attracting significant research funding.”

The centre will be launched with an opening address from Irish filmmaker and Trinity alumnus Sir William Sargent, best known for his work on the films of the “Harry Potter” series. In addition, there will be a showcase of a number of digital projects that are being undertaken by students and researchers at the centre. These include transcriptions of a diary from Easter Week of 1916 by Elsie Mahaffy, daughter of former Provost John Pentland Mahaffy, as well as a digital reconstruction of the saloon of the Provost’s House.