UCC’s €15 Million Student Centre Extension Sheds Light on Trinity’s Lack of Dedicated Student Spaces

As student complaints are reinforced by developments in other universities, Trinity must reassess its approach to purpose-built student spaces.

This week, work began on a €15 million extension of a student centre in University College Cork (UCC). This development shines a light on the lack of such spaces in Trinity and the absence of any plans to introduce anything of this scale.

The lack of common space has been a big problem this year in Trinity for students, something symbolised by the anger that met the announcement that a new student entrepreneurship hub was to be built in what is now the upstairs of the Hamilton Restaurant, and the unprecedented criticism of the lack of student spaces from societies on campus.

While Trinity is limited in its space due to its central location and protected architecture, it is evident that the space it does have is used poorly, something a report commissioned by the College heavily criticised earlier this year.

The student movement has always tried to lead the push for a purpose-built student centre. In 2011, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) held a referendum to gauge whether students would be willing to pay for such a centre. It failed to pass.

Five years on, it was a hot topic during the TCDSU elections with Kieran McNulty, then a candidate, and now President, vowing to hold a referendum on the matter, assuming the council of the union approved it first.

If this referendum goes ahead and ends up passing, it is unclear if College will respond to lobbying for a student centre. UCC and University College Dublin (UCD), two of the best universities in Ireland, have prioritised these initiatives and recognised the importance of purpose-built student spaces – but will Trinity?

Plans for student spaces have been incorporated into upcoming developments such as the new Business School and Oisín House, but this seems to be an afterthought to appease students and falls very short of what is needed to properly cater for students, especially considering the plans to increase student numbers.

Despite our central location and proximity to cafes, restaurants, bars and other student-dominated hubs, lack of space is a common complaint, though not one with an imminent solution.

While the Provost remains focussed on commercialisation and globalisation initiatives as a means for bringing in more money, students spend their lunch breaks squashed against the wall on the cold floor of the Arts Block.

With other leading Irish universities overtaking Trinity, it has become clear that a world-class university needs world-class student spaces.