Later Start Time For Freshers’ Week Set Up, After New CSC Regulations

The new regulations will mean that, from the Tuesday of Freshers’ Week, societies may only set up in Front Square from 10am onwards.

Dominic McGrathDeputy Editor

Societies will have to set up their stands in Front Square later than normal this Freshers’ Week, after new regulations for this year were introduced by the Central Societies Committee (CSC).

According to new regulations, emailed to societies this afternoon by the CSC, from Tuesday onwards societies may only set up their stands from 10am. On Monday, the start time will be 8am, with stands allowed to be set up from 8.30am.

In previous years most societies would arrive earlier in the morning, with some queueing as early as 6am, in an attempt to secure prominent positions in Front Square. The email from the CSC states that, for this year, “no queueing will be allowed before 8am”. Last year, societies could begin to sign out desks from the Exam Hall, as per CSC regulations, from 8.30am onwards.

Speaking to The University Times over email, Lucy O’Connell, CSC administrative officer, stated that “the Freshers’ Week set up regulations are formulated by the CSC Executive after consultation with societies”.

According to O’Connell, after consultations with societies, the 2015/16 CSC Executive establishing a working group and “certain recommendations were made to the incoming Executive”.

At a meeting on April 12th, according to O’Connell, the incoming CSC agreed to “adopt certain elements of the recommendations, including a change in the start times”.

Aside from a later start time, the 13-point list of regulations for societies during Freshers’ Week is largely unchanged from last year. This includes a ban on the use of amplifiers or loudspeakers, while the usual “market square” set up, where societies are not allowed to obstruct the pathways through Front Square or promote themselves in Front Arch, has remained unchanged.

The CSC is currently without a permanent chair, after former President of the University Philosophical Society Ludivine Rebet, was deemed ineligible to act as President of the CSC. Ronan Hodson is currently Acting Chair.

Correction: 13:11, September 8th, 2016
An earlier version of this piece stated that Rebet was was deemed ineligible to act as CSC President as she was not a full-time student. In fact, Rebet’s status was that of an an intermittent student.