A Fresh Look at a Classic Student Lunch Spot: Gerry’s

Maryia Ditchkowska learns why the restaurant remains a favourite after 25 years of doing business.

Maryia DitchkowskaFood & Drink Editor

To be completely honest, Gerry’s is no revelation. This place has existed for over 25 years with the same owner, and the concept has remained unchanged since the day of its creation. Gerry’s offer good quality, home-cooked meals for a reasonable price. I was surprised, however, that a lot of my friends didn’t know about this place. It is located on Montague St, the same street as the newly-opened Meet Me In The Morning and the Green Bench Cafe, which are both trending at the moment.

What Gerry’s offers is consistency and good taste. When I came in, I was looking for a coffee, but, tempted by the smells, I ended up staying for lunch. They offer lunch sets, so I went for the burger with a side and their cheesecake. The burger was of very decent size and was served with plenty of mashed potato, carrots and broccoli. The portion was enough to fill an any adult, tasted homemade and reminded me of mum’s cooking. The generous portion of strawberry cheesecake was offered with either ice cream or cream, but really didn’t need anything to supplement the flavour. I plumped for the vanilla-chocolate ice cream, which turned out to be a strange combination with the strawberry flavour of the cheesecake.

For everything, including coffee, I paid €8.50 — a good price for the amount of food I got and the location of the cafe. A three-course meal with coffee would have cost me just an additional euro — quite impressive price for a full lunch. The place was full during lunchtime, and I noticed a few tables ordering from the all-day breakfast menu as well. The owner of the place, Gerry himself, was walking around the tables, making sure everyone was happy about their meal and stopping for a friendly chat. The audience was very diverse as well, from men in business suits at the back, to walk-in tourists and those whom I classified as hungover students, tucking into the all-day breakfast.

Overall, for the price you pay, the atmosphere and the quality of food, Gerry’s is definitely worth a visit. The taste of the food, however, was slightly too homey for my own liking. When I eat out, I often try to go for something I would not be able to cook myself, which is not the case with Gerry’s. At the same time, this spot is an ideal place for hungry students tempted by a cheap three-course meal or those missing the taste of authentic food cooked by their mum.