A Masculinity Debate, Raveheart, and a Walk on the Wild Side: Your Week Ahead

Brian Donnelly picks out the most promising society events set to take place this week.

Brian DonnellySocieties Editor
Andrew Murphy for The University Times

The summer may be well and truly over and the dust may have finally settled from Freshers’ Week, but fear not. This week promises to present a multitude of events for you to attend on campus to broaden your mind and keep you away from any real academic responsibilities (for the time being at least).

On Tuesday, the United Arab Emirates Ambassador to Ireland, His Excellency Dr Saeed Mohammed Al Shamsi, will be joining SOFIA to speak about the challenges presented by modern multiculturalism and globalisation. This talk promises to be highly thought-provoking as the country holds one of the world’s fastest growing economies as well as a population which has grown by 1500% since 1971. They are fast becoming one of the most influential countries in the world, ensuring that this is an event which is not to be missed. It will be taking place at 7:30pm in the Thomas Davis Theatre.

On Wednesday evening, head down to the GMB to listen in to the College Historical Society’s (the Hist) weekly debate. The motion stands as “This House Believes Masculinity Is Inherently Harmful”. Set to explore the topic of gender and the ongoing power that society awards to gender roles, this debate will investigate one of the growing issues of our day. Join the Hist in the chamber of the GMB at 7:30pm to delve further into the question.

Let your hair down on Thursday evening with the help of Caledonian Society and their “Raveheart” event. Expect a night of Scottish debauchery in the Wiley Fox at an event which invites you to forget about your worries and party like Mel Gibson in 1995. Kilts are optional.

Join Zoo Soc and DUPA to discover some of Dublin’s wildlife, which can be found just outside the city centre. The group will be meeting at 4:45pm on Friday evening at the Campanile and heading out to Phoenix Park. Firstly, you will be able to observe and capture some stunning pictures of the wild deer in rutting season. Then Zoo Soc will conduct a walk showing to participants the different species of bats in Phoenix Park with the help of bat detectors. The evening promises to be a great way to kick of the weekend, through celebrating the various wildlife and parks that Dublin has to offer.