A Musical Celebration of the Life of David Bowie

This Sunday, Starman – A David Bowie Celebration will pay tribute to the iconic figure of David Bowie in the Olympia Theatre.

Lucia Grijpink Contributing Writer

There he was, looking straight into the living room of all the 1972 households, while pointing his finger into their living rooms. “I had to phone someone so I picked on you-ou-ou”. The Starman was giving a performance on Top of the Pops, shocking the world with his flaming red hair, blue guitar and skinny flower suit. A new era had begun,:the era of David Bowie.

Even though most of us were born after the Bowie madness, it’s difficult to have missed this icon. No one can prevent their legs from rushing to the dance floor when “Let’s Dance”, not to mention his endless list of timeless classics, such as “Space Oddity”, “Life on Mars” and “Rebel Rebel”.

Bowies last album, Blackstar, caused confusion among his fans as a result of the dark songs and video clips that it contained. During his life, Bowie had re-invented himself multiple times and had developed many alter-egos, such as Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and the Thin White Duke. Before his death, the man who started as a fiery Starman, had transformed into the Blackstar, preparing himself and his public for what was inevitably to come.

This Sunday, we can celebrate the wonderful work of David Bowie by watching his many different personas unite for one evening at the Olympia Theatre. The night will present a number of Bowie’s greatest hits, combined with his extravagant fashion and spectacular audio-visual footage. Michael King and a collection of musicians and singers will take you on a trip through Bowie’s life to pay tribute to the many personages that defined the icon.

So cancel your gym session of Monday morning, steal those red glitter pants from your mother and go to the Starman – A David Bowie Celebration night in Olympia Theatre. Let the children lose it, let the children use it, let all the children boogie.