An Cumann Gaelach Announced as New Jailbreak Organiser

After Law Soc withdrew in April, An Cumann Gaelach will join Trinity VDP and Trinity Amnesty as organisers of the event.

Dominic McGrathDeputy Editor

An Cumann Gaelach have been announced as the new partner of Jailbreak, after Trinity College Law Society (Law Soc) withdrew as an organiser of the annual event in April.

An Cuman Gaelach is one of Trinity’s largest societies and holds numerous events throughout the year, including céilís, debating competitions and lectures, centred around the promotion of the Irish language.

In a press release, the Reachtaire of An Cumann Gaelach, Áine Haberlin, described Jailbreak as an “amazing platform”.

“Our focus will be on promoting the Irish language and culture, not only in Ireland but further afield”, she said.

Originally open only to entrants from Trinity, in 2014 Jailbreak expanded to include other universities, with 2016’s event one of the most successful in the race’s history, with the €50,000 fundraising target exceeded hours before the event ended.

“If An Cumann Gaelach can help raise funds for these two worthy charities and, in the process increase exposure of the Irish language, then we will be ‘ar mhuin na muice’”, Haberlin said.

After being involved with Jailbreak since 2013, the Auditor of Law Soc, Hilary Hogan, told The University Times last term that the three societies had agreed to “consciously uncouple”.

The three societies put forward directors of Jailbreak, with responsibility for organising the event. Newly elected Chair of the Central Societies Committee (CSC), Cumann Gaelach’s Benn Ó hÓgáin, will direct the event on behalf of the society.

Ó hÓgáin said he hoped that Cumann Gaelach would be able to “bring our unique cultural focus” to the event.

In a press release, the President of Trinity VDP, Sam McMahon, said: “Having an Cumann Gaelach on board this year, will undoubtedly bring a new dynamic and energy to Jailbeak. Irish societies have a prominent and well respected presence around many colleges in Ireland, and we hope the partnership will allow us to expand the coverage and attention of the event to more students across the island.”

Chair of DU Amnesty, Sadhbh Sheeran, in a press release added that she would be “placing a request for them to improve my Irish”.

Over the past five years, Jailbreak has raised €150,000 for the two partner charities, and has been regularly covered by the national media. Based on an annual event organised by Cambridge University, Jailbreak previously saw students aim to get as far from Ireland as possible without using their own money. However, recent competitions have followed alternative formats, with last year’s event taking the form of a race to a secret location in Krakow.