Cave Writings Returns After a Summer of Creative Hibernation

Kelly Meehan Brown looks ahead to spoken word creativity in Jack Nealon's pub.

Kelly Meehan BrownLiterature Editor

A fresh and original take on a traditional open mic night, Cave Writings promises a supportive and safe space for creative ingenuity. Born out of a gap in the Dublin spoken word scene for a comfort zone to discuss, share and constructively criticize, the event began in the aptly named Wine Cave of KC Peaches. Since then, it has moved from location to location, previously offering economical access to alcohol to help creativity to flow. This week, the cave returns to Jack Nealon’s on Capel Street as a self declared “nomadic tribe of creatives of various mediums”.

Cave Writings is tailored towards people from every discipline, with a multitude of creators from varying backgrounds such as scientists, filmmakers and those with no particular discipline at all in attendance each time. The unrestricted, exciting approach to literature is an enticing prospect for budding artists. This year, organisers hope to draw in an eclectic and diverse crowd, with the possibility of veterans of the event such as original organiser Fionn Rogan in attendance following his graduation from Trinity.

Lovers of the event will remember the last grand hurrah in November of 2015, Cave Paintings. This innovative and original event blended both the literary artist and the visual artist, a feat which had not been attempted before in the Dublin Literary sphere. The result was a successful merging of pairs of one writer, one artist, where each responded to the work of the other. The respect of each creative discipline is alive and well in the event today.

The appropriately named event, Cave Writings: The Homecoming takes place this Wednesday, October 5th, in Jack Nealon’s on Capel Street at 8pm. It is not one to miss.

Correction: 18.58, October 4th, 2016
An earlier version of this piece stated that the event was BYOB. Although some previous Cave Writing gatherings have been BYOB, this event will not be.