Colm O’Gorman on the Refugee Crisis and the Ways That Students Can Help

The Executive Director of Amnesty International Ireland spoke at the launch of Suas Trinity’s magazine, STAND.

Grace MeagherContributing Writer
Salome Fernandes for The University Times

On Monday evening, Executive Director of Amnesty International Ireland, Colm O’Gorman, joined Suas Trinity at the launch of the society’s inaugural magazine, STAND. The publication’s success was evident by the many attentive heads lining the couches in the Hist’s Conversation Room in the GMB. People milled about, reading the content of the magazine with wine glasses in hand. But those who came to the free drink’s reception found themselves staying for the publication’s launch, much to the delight of its editor, Una Harty.

Kevin Keane, Suas President, described the society’s first issue as “long awaited”, introducing the publication as one that addresses issues such as human rights, the environment and global development. Keane was then joined by O’Gorman, an activist speaking for “those who cannot speak for themselves”. Addressing the audience, O’Gorman highlighted the issues dealt with inside the pages of this inaugural publication.

O’Gorman gave a very compelling and honest speech, focusing mainly on the very controversial refugee crisis that has caught the world’s attention as of late. He addressed many of the key issues regarding this crisis but also gave several interesting viewpoints on just how appalling and shocking it really is. On the topic of people smuggling, he argued that this market has been created for the smugglers by governments when they shut down safe routes to Europe.

Bringing the issue closer to home, O’Gorman noted that “what the EU does, Ireland does. What Ireland does, we do”. With this point, he wholeheartedly urged the audience to engage in humanitarian work and applauded Suas for its honorable contribution, evident in the pages of STAND. The key idea that was taken from his grounded speech was an impactful one: “Real change comes about when enough of us refuse to tolerate it anymore”.

Harty later addressed the enrapt audience. She announced that the next issue will be published in early December followed by two further issues next term. It was obvious through her words and her gratitude towards the magazine’s writing staff that many long nights and early mornings were devoted to the publication. This sentiment of dedication and diligence is illustrated in the diversity and scope of the content produced.