Dublin’s Latest Artist Collective, Bad Soup

At their launch this Friday, the initiative will showcase a collection of works from some of Dublin’s best artists and musicians.

Brian DonnellyJunior Editor

Bad Soup is a new music and art collective that was set up by a group of friends, all of whom are artists or musicians, as a way to showcase all the creative talent that Dublin has to offer, which they believe is largely going unnoticed.

Speaking to The University Times, founder Adam Smyth said he was “blown away by the high standard of creativity” in Ireland, and they set up the collective to provide a space for these artists and musicians. Smyth believes that the music scene in Dublin is very active, yet people remain unaware of the high levels of talent. Bad Soup hopes to gather Dublin’s creativity in one place and encourages people to “try something new”.

The launch party will be take place from 4.30pm to 11pm on October 21st in The Grand Social. The evening will include an art exhibition, live bands and DJs. The art exhibition will be up around the venue with most of the artists coming from National College of Art and Design (NCAD), with attendees able to purchase the art on the evening. The bands will be playing from 5pm onwards and include acts from a range of styles including Vernon Jane, LE BOOM, Other Creature and Smyth’s own band, Tribal Dance. General ticket prices for the event are €8 and are available online.

At the moment, Bad Soup is putting all its effort into the launch party, but the collective hopes to branch out in the future when it becomes more established. It hopes to broadcast on local radio or host a longer two-day event next summer. Dublin has always been famous for its community of artists, and the new collective hope they’ll be able to give the next generation an opportunity to flourish.