Magic and Mysticism, as Dr Strange Turns the Marvel Universe Upside Down

The new film, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, promises something different from the usual Marvel blockbuster.

Dara McWadeContributing Writer

Far away from the technological fights and flights of Iron Man, the street-level crime stories of Luke Cage and the space-operatics of the Guardians of the Galaxy, an ersatz outsider in an ancient temple takes a deep breath, closes his eyes and leaves his own body as if he were a spirit. Doctor Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts, has always been a fan-favourite character, bridging the gap between mainstream superheroism and the dark, weird corners of the comic world. Now, Marvel Studios is aiming to bring that magic to the Marvel cinematic universe as Benedict Cumberbatch slips into Doctor Strange’s famous “cloak of levitation” and “magical necklace”. I had the opportunity to see 15 minutes of the film in IMAX 3D before its release on October 25th, and while your mileage may vary on the fast-paced plot and jokey dialogue typical of the Marvel house style, the film’s fantastic visuals and stacked cast will keep you involved and watching.

Directed by Sinister director Scott Derrickson, the film is a visual effects spectacular like none you may have seen before in a mainstream blockbuster, with trips into alternative dimensions and cities turning in the skies like kaleidoscopes. When I said the film’s visuals were fantastic, I meant it literally, as the fantasy elements in the action are unlike anything you’ll see in a typical blockbuster, Marvel or otherwise. There are no helicarriers falling from the sky or robots punching each other in the face. Instead, the action takes the form of mystical martial arts, as the characters bend the world around them, often literally, with moves and stances that evoke Eastern fighting styles. It’s clear that these fascinating visuals are what the film will be remembered for in years to come.

A particular standout moment in the footage screened was a training sequence where Doctor Strange’s spirit is forced out of his body and enters a multiverse of bright colours, disturbing body horror and intriguing cosmological imagery. The sequence is a thrilling and disorienting introduction to the world of magic in all of its wonders and horrors as Doctor Strange is bounced to and from different “planes of existence” with all the speed of a bullet, zipping through anything from a vortex of arms reaching for him to beautiful cosmological landscape straight out of 2001: A Space Odyssey. A separate sequence from later in the film saw Doctor Strange and his ally Baron Mordo, played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, chase the villains of the film across a cityscape reminiscent of Italian futurist paintings, like the city-bending scenes in Inception on steroids. The footage was a real treat in IMAX 3D, and while generally I am loathe to see films released in the format, the care that has obviously been made to transport the viewer to these dimensions with Doctor Strange is enough to convince even a grouch like me to fork out an extra few euros.

The sizzle reel started out with scenes of Doctor Strange’s life before his induction to the mystic arts, and you would be forgiven for groaning throughout the clichés. Rachel McAdams, who plays Doctor Strange’s love interest in the film, asks him to leave his expensive and exclusive surgical clinic behind and “help save lives”, telling him of her new “Strange rule”, banning her from future relationships with co-workers. Doctor Strange continues to flirt with her and talks about how his work “changes the face of the world”. While there is clearly chemistry between the two stars, you won’t be coming to see the film for the romance.

Characters you may be coming for will not disappoint, however. Tilda Swinton owns her brief appearance in the preview as the bald wizard known only as “The Ancient One” in a way that only Swinton can. Bafta-winner, Ejiofor, is always worth watching in whatever film he appears in. Less clear are the characters Wong, played by Benedict Wong, Doctor Strange’s manservant in the comics, who is here updated to a tough drill sergeant who minds the magic texts of the temple, and the villain Kaecillius, a Z-list comics villain who is notable only for being played by Mads Mikkelsen, the man who out did Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lector.

While the Marvel house style may dictate many of the plot and character beats, it’s clear that the visual style of this film is unlike any Marvel film made. Not that there is anything wrong with the house style – it’s charming and watchable. It’s clear that Doctor Strange is another big win for the studio that is slowly taking over Hollywood. If you do go to see Doctor Strange, keep your wits about you: your senses will be messed with.