On Bringing Political Issues to the Masses, Anna Cosgrave and Dave Tynan

The founder of the Repeal Project and the director of We Face This Land spoke to DU Amnesty International.

Kate FriedebergContributing Writer
Kate Friedeberg for The University Times

Walking down a busy street in Dublin, chances are you will spot someone wearing a black jumper with a bold white “Repeal” printed on the front. The production and distribution of these jumpers has been a huge success in progressing the pro-choice movement in Ireland to repeal the eighth amendment of the Irish Constitution, with all of the proceeds going to the Abortion Rights Campaign. On Thursday, the woman behind the jumpers and founder of the Repeal Project, Anna Cosgrove, spoke with DU Amnesty International about her vision behind the campaign, her reaction to public response and her plans for the future. Joining her was Dave Tynan, director of the viral video We Face This Land, a beautiful and powerful piece produced in collaboration with Cosgrave, featuring notable Irish women wearing the jumpers.

Cosgrave began the interview by reading an extract from an Irish primary school teacher’s story of her travel to and from the UK to get an abortion, telling of her despair in her country’s silence about abortion laws and her bearing the “weight of unbearable anger, rage, silence and stigma”. Asked about their first interest in the pro-choice movement, Cosgrave and Tynan both cited the 2012 Vigil for Savita, saying it was a turning point for them as human rights activists. Cosgrave spoke about her idea of fashioning jumpers to move the conversation offline, taking it out of social media and putting it physically in the streets. Her idea was for women to fashion their own narrative, to wear their rights. The response to this idea has been surprising and reassuring for her, strengthening her belief in Ireland to change. However, Anna believes there is still a long way to go. She says canvassing wins a referendum and described the movement against the political authorities as a “glacial fight up a mountain with hyenas chasing you”.

The audience posed some particularly poignant questions: Is this solely a women’s issue? How do we bring supportive men into the conversation? What has your response been to those accusing you of commercialising feminism? In her genuine and unassuming manner, Cosgrave voiced her opinion that historically Irish people, especially students, do not get angry enough about issues and should collectively be more proactive about standing up for their human rights. She encourages young women to talk to their male friends about abortion, to help them feel included in a conversation that they may feel they are not allowed to take part in.

Tynan was particularly aware of his position as a man involved in this campaign with a plethora of women. Continually modest and humble of his work, he talked about the success of his campaign video being partly due to the merging of click-bait with the sense of righteousness that comes with watching political videos online – it makes people feel like they are doing something. In response to the accusation of commercialising feminism, that the jumpers are economically marginalising, Cosgrave stressed that the weight behind such a project had to begin with targeting the trendy middle class and creating a social media presence. The main drive behind the Repeal Project is to help those who are most affected, especially in rural Ireland outside of Dublin city. Tynan interjected that after all people listen to trendy – it’s all about visibility.

The interview was wrapped up by asking Cosgrave what the future is for the campaign. She revealed a few details of her next project, titled “Repeal with Us”, itself a collaboration with four other women. The photography exhibition is to be displayed around Dublin, where people can share their stories in the streets. In partnership with the Abortion Rights Campaign, she plans to organise pop-ups in rural towns in Ireland, emphasising the importance of contacting other communities and campaigning. She encouraged everyone to “be the awkward interjection at a party”. To the general excitement of the audience, she also announced plans for Repeal scarves, bomber jackets and skateboards to be launched soon, all with the aim of gaining movement and support for a referendum.