“Pro-Choice” Supporters Too Often Have a Monopoly on Abortion Debate in Trinity

Aishling Ruigrok argues that those who hold a “pro-life” view in Trinity are often stigmatised, and proper debate doesn't take place.

Aishling RuigrokContributing Writer

The abortion debate is one that sparks tensions on an unprecedented level. Personally, up to this point, it is a debate that I have done my best to avoid. However, with the repeal the eighth movement gathering significant momentum, it is a debate that neither I, nor anyone else, can hide from any longer.

Walking through the city centre, a groundswell of support for repealing the eighth amendment is evident. From people wearing “REPEAL” jumpers and badges to posters advertising certain rallies and meetings, the movement is undoubtedly growing, and that’s fine. People have the right to fight for what they believe in. My issue, however, and what I find myself struggling to accept, is Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU)’s resolute and unrelenting engagement in the campaign to repeal the eighth campaign. The union’s mandate to advocate for repeal was established after a referendum in 2014 which saw a relatively low turnout.

The intensity and unforgiving nature of Trinity’s involvement is thoroughly alienating and unfair on students, and members of the faculty, who disagree or even have doubts about repealing the eighth amendment

To its credit, TCDSU does great work on certain issues and gets things done. But should the union not be more of a facilitator of debate when it comes to such a morally ambiguous issue, unlike the vehement campaigner it finds itself to be? Should a students’ union that is supposed to be representative of the entire student population have the right to take such a firm stance on an issue as delicate and divisive as abortion? Personally, like many others, I’m unsure.

I found myself during Freshers’ Week on the steps of the Dining Hall, basking in the last of the summer sunshine and enjoying the Freshers’ Week buzz, when I was jerked back to reality by a series of speeches by “pro-choice” campaigners. A large crowd gathered quickly to listen to and cheer on the frankly disappointing orators. What I heard was purely a series of activists who took turns to rant about freedom and bash the Catholic Church.

It is evident that the majority of students are supportive of the campaign. However, the intensity and unforgiving nature of the involvement of many in the Trinity community is thoroughly alienating and unfair on students, and members of the faculty, who disagree or even have doubts about repealing the eighth amendment. Their right to hold an opinion on this literal “life and death” issue is being completely overlooked.

A furious indignation bubbles up in many “pro-choice” supporters when anyone even expresses an opinion on this issue that goes against their own. It is certainly very rare that you see “pro-life” teenagers and other young people vocalising their convictions on abortion. There is undoubtedly a stigma attached to it. Personally, I’m unsure of where I stand on the issue. Yet, I know that if I were actively unsupportive of the campaign, many of my peers would judge me. I would be considered overly-conservative, old-fashioned and backward. Being a repeal supporter has become fashionable, and it’s seen to be uncool and wrong not to be following this trend.

Being a repeal supporter has become fashionable, and it’s seen to be uncool and wrong not to be following this trend

What many people aren’t aware of is that in Ireland since the passing of the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act in 2013, if a woman’s life is in danger, a pregnancy can be terminated, including cases where the woman is deemed to be suicidal. That said, rape victims are not eligible for abortion and neither are women whose foetus is unlikely to survive outside the womb. With approximately 10 to 12 women going overseas per day to receive an abortion, it’s probably only a matter of time before abortion in some broader cases is introduced in Ireland. However, the fact that woman can get an abortion when her life is at risk is rarely acknowledged in the debate.

Rightfully, in keeping with democracy, if a referendum is called and passed, it is what the people want. Therefore, it is what they shall have. Until the time of that deciding vote, however, all people – particularly young people – should be allowed to make up their mind free from peer pressure, stigma and alienation. As a university, Trinity should be a place where free speech and exchanging ideas prevails. This is an environment that is definitely not found in the grounds of the College at present.