Q Soc Gather in Supernatural Fashion to Celebrate Oscar Wilde

Tonight, the society will assemble under the campanile to attempt to connect with the much-loved writer.

Kelly Meehan BrownLiterature Editor
Eavan McLoughlin for The University Times

As a belated birthday celebration, Q Soc, Trinity’s LGBT society, will host a spooktacular event for “The Dandy” himself, Oscar Wilde, this evening.

Taking a different approach to a literary event, this evening will see a séance held under The Campanile at the break of night. Auditor for the society, Oliver Riordan, told The University Times over Facebook that, as it is so close to Halloween, they felt it would be “fitting to do an event that was supernatural themed and so we fell upon the idea of trying to communicate with him”.

As well as endeavouring to reach Wilde while the veil between this world and the next is thin, readings of Wilde’s work will also be presented to further celebrate his life – a life that is an integral component of the LGBT society and also Trinity itself.

Rather than simply presenting readings or discussions on his work, Q Soc are taking it one step further and branching out into the spiritual world. It is a welcome break from traditional events and celebrations of classic writers, and fits in perfectly with the season. A more hands-on approach is the perfect way to interest the masses in literary appreciation.

After the event, there will be a relaxing chil-out session for anyone who feels a bit unnerved by the idea of contacting the dead, and Riordan assures us that they “are prepared for any eventuality, including an appearance from the man himself”. Who knows what will happen? ‘Tis the season, after all.

The event begins under The Campanile at 7pm.