For Fourth Week, TAF Heads Into the Woods

Grace O'Boyle looks ahead to Trinity Arts Festival, one of the most highly anticipated events of Fourth Week.

Grace O'BoyleContributing Writer
Last year's Trinity Arts Festival's Dark Side of the Rainbow saw Graduate Memorial Building lit up.

It’s that time of year again, the fourth week of Michaelmas term. A week of society events aided by the Central Societies Committee (CSC) and another opportunity for Trinity societies to promote themselves. But what would Fourth Week be without one of its most highly anticipated events, Trinity Arts Festival’s (TAF) collaborative takeover of the GMB?

Last year’s “Dark Side of the Rainbow” saw the GMB transform into a psychedelic Wizard-of-Oz-themed night, which certainly did not disappoint. This year will be no different, with yet another enchanting and mysterious theme. The theme of “What Lies In the Woods” will see TAF draw inspiration from Grimm’s famous fairy-tales to transport the audience to a spooky woodland filled with characters from our favourite childhood fairytales such as Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and, of course, the Big Bad Wolf.

The audience will begin their journey beneath the woods in Front Square, where they will witness a fire show hosted by DU Juggling and Circus Society. This element of the night is something anyone can enjoy, even if you miss out on a ticket for the event. Next, the lucky ticket-holders will be ushered into the GMB chamber where they will witness an introduction to what the night holds. At this point a narrative begins to unfold, so expect plot twists, chaos and perhaps a glimpse of the seven dwarves.

The event has a collective nature that showcases the talents of a plethora of Trinity societies whilst still maintaining the unique theme and narrative of the night. This diversifies the event and ensures there is something for everybody. This year we can expect treats from DU Food and Drink, TCD Afro-Caribbean Society, the University Philosophical Society (the Phil), Fashion Society and DU Players, to name but a few.

TAF’s fourth week event is fast becoming a college institution that showcases the creative talent of a wide range of societies and students. This is set to be an immersive, theatrical and aesthetically exciting trip that, true to the aims at the heart of Fourth Week, will guarantee your attendance at multiple TAF events throughout the year.

Tickets will be free as it is part of the CSC Fourth Week line-up, available at a stand in the Arts Block from 2pm today. Don’t be left out in the cold and come into the woods for a enchanting end to your Fourth Week, at a night that promises to be quite the spectacle.

What Lies In the Woods will take place on Friday the 21st of October at 8pm. The official after party for the event will be held courtesy of Zodiac, DUDJ and TAF in the Turk’s Head. Entry is €5 with a TAF wristband or DUDJ membership card before 11.30pm and €7 otherwise.