The King’s Good Servant, a Craft Beer Pub Crawl and Patti Smith: Your Week Ahead

As students begin to slow down with Reading Week in sight, societies have taken no such approach with a jam packed line-up for the days ahead.

Brian DonnellySocieties Editor
Andrew Murphy for The University Times

With Reading Week just around the corner, this week societies have presented a jam-packed line up for the coming days to keep you busy before the full reality of week eight assignments sets in. Tomorrow evening, DU History are heading to the Freemason’s Hall to enact a battle for the ages. They will be pitting Thomas Cromwell and Thomas More against each other and letting attendees decide which one of the two figures has won the battle of history. There will be a cast of 13 as well as input from Prof Ciaran Brady and Dr Graeme Murdock of the Department of History.

Beginning on Tuesday and continuing until Saturday is the annual Freshers’ Co-op in Player’s Theatre. Race To The Millennium: How A Century Was Born is the product of weeks of work put in by the directors Julie Duffy, Will Dunleavy, Rob Farrelly and Freya Gillespie, a crew of more than 50 and a cast of about the same. The play will definitely be one of the highlights of the Players calendar and an event you do not want to miss this week.

This Wednesday at 7pm in the Boydell Room in House Five, Ralph Rolle will be joining Dublin University Alternative Music Society (DUAMS), Dublin University Music Society and DU Food and Drink. This may seem like a slightly odd society collaboration, yet there is method in it. Rolle has worked with many of musical greats including Prince, Lady Gaga, D’Angelo and many more. But he also has a cookie company, and has promised to bring cookies with him for attendees to try.

Alternatively, swing by Arts Block room 4012 on Wednesday at 7.30pm for a screening of Midnight in Paris with French Society. This film sees Owen Wilson stroll through Paris and come across characters from Paris’ illustrious Belle Epoque. It is a wonderful film with a fantastic cast and will provide that mid-week pick-up you need to bring you over the weekly hump and ready you for Reading Week.

Let DU Food and Drink take you on a craft beer pub crawl of some of their favourite spots for a pint in Dublin. The night will begin in The Gingerman, followed by Probus, then on to Sweetmans and eventually making their way to the Porterhouse. This event only costs €10 and tickets are on sale in the Arts Block on Tuesday at 12pm. Participants will receive a pint in every pub so it is a really fantastic deal for all you craft beer connoisseurs out there. There are only 30 spots available so don’t miss out.

On Friday at 2pm in the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB) the College Historical Society (The Hist) will be awarding Patti Smith the Burke Medal for Outstanding Contribution to the Arts. Smith is known for being a true pioneer, famous for poetry infused punk. She is a truly fascinating personality and her address promises to be thoroughly enlightening. Attendees will also have the chance to listen to Smith perform.

If you missed Trinity Orchestra perform some of David Bowie’s classics at Electric Picnic and then again in the Examinations Hall, well fear not as you have another chance to see them. They will be taking to the stage at Metropolis this Saturday at 1pm in the RDS. If you have the money for a ticket you will not want to miss this event. The lineup also includes The Sugarhill Gang and the incomparable Grace Jones. The perfect start to your reading week, to say the least.