Tilda Inventively Brings A Much-Loved Classic to the Players Stage

In its final day of running, the play, based on Roald Dahl’s classic, creatively takes inspiration from current affairs.

John ClarkeContributing Writer
Róisín Power for The University Times

Although the absence of the “Ma” in the title might suggest distance from the original tale by Roald Dahl, this version does not fail to bring us home to the classic Matilda story that we all know and love. At the same time, however, it brings a new edge to Matilda that we have not before seen in the book or film.

The election of Donald Trump is used to highlight even further the disgrace of Tilda’s father who offers his full support to the candidate, and Fifty Shades of Grey makes an appearance when the librarian disputes what would best suit the girl’s “adult book” request.

The librarian takes on a new role as the narrator to bring the audience straight into the show, an ingenious method to concentrate all the best bits of the narrative into the hour-long production. Matilda’s magic, Bruce’s cake and the Wormwood household are not forgotten.

But what about Miss Trunchbull? Jonathan Ryan-Hicks stole the show with his performance of the notorious Trunchbull. The directors’ decision to cast Ryan-Hicks for the role left the character with all the masculinity and domineering presence that she deserves, while her screams, yelps and taunts were still performed with perfection.

A combination of costume and Ellie Halloran’s performance equally brought the tenderness of Miss Honey to life, while Mr and Mrs Wormwood’s malign ways are certainly worth a watch.

If I could slight something about this production, it would have to be the props. When Tilda uses her mind to make things fly around the room, backed by Thurston Harris’s “Little Bitty Pretty One”, the objects drop shakily from strings in the gantries above, before jumping around comically in mid-air. But, honestly, all of this just adds to the fun that is Tilda, as does a cheesy song to finish off the show. Whether your day has been a good or bad one, you will find this trip to Players Theatre to be entirely refreshing and extremely worthwhile.

Tilda runs until Friday, 28th October in the Players Theatre.