Trad Music, Presidential Elections and a Burlesque Workshop: Your Wednesday of Fourth Week

As we reach the centre point of Fourth Week, Brian Donnelly reminds students of the ongoing diversity taking place in today’s society events.

Brian DonnellySocieties Editor
Eavan McLoughlin for The University Times

Fourth Week is well and truly in full swing. If you have yet to take advantage of the many free events that are happening around campus, there is no doubt that today’s diverse line up will have something in store for you. The Japanese Society will be hosting a cultural event from 4pm until 6pm in the Eliz Rooms. They will have lots of traditional Japanese food, yakatas, kimonos and toys for people to try. The Japanese Embassy will also be supplying information at the event for students who are interested in studying abroad in Japanese universities, as well as information on grant programs given to master’s and PhD students.

From 7pm until 8pm, DU History will be running a talk entitled “Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail: the Worst Presidential Elections in American History” in Books Upstairs on D’Olier Street. Prof Patrick Geoghegan will be giving the timely talk which will be highlighting crazy anecdotes from other US elections and drawing some comparisons to this year’s race. DU History endeavours to promote George Santayana’s oft misquoted adage: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” This is an event which accurately sums up these aspirations and the overarching core beliefs of the society.

If politics is not your thing, fear not! DU Dance will be holding a burlesque workshop from 7pm until 8.30pm. The workshop will be taking place in the Lir Academy, but they will be meeting at the Science Gallery at 6.30pm to walk over together. Live your Moulin Rouge fantasy with this workshop whilst getting in your Wednesday workout.

Join DU Traditional Music Society (TradSoc) for their Tasty Tune Crawl and Silent Trisco. For those of you who do not know what Trisco is, it is a silent disco with a Trad music twist. The evening will start in Mama’s Revenge on Nassau Street at 7pm with some complimentary food and trad music. The event will then take to the streets of Dublin stopping in pubs along the way – quite the hooley altogether, it would seem.