DU Amnesty’s Efforts to Create Change on a National and International Level

Fionnuala Egan learns more about the society’s ongoing campaigns this year, including #NotACriminal, #IWelcome and Jailbreak.

Fionnuala EganDeputy Societies Editor
DU Amnesty Photo

Amnesty International is a global movement of more than seven million people in over 150 countries and territories who campaign for the fundamental human rights guaranteed to each one of us by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. DU Amnesty International represents the Irish branch of this movement at Trinity. They work closely with Amnesty International Ireland, the headquarters of which are located on nearby Fleet St.

For its Chairperson, third-year science student Sadhbh Sheeran, having such an influential body behind the society is empowering. Speaking to The University Times, she praises the “great guidance” of Amnesty International Ireland, who “act as a springboard” for their ideas. They help student activists to improve their skills while also giving the society specific direction. DU Amnesty mirrors the ethos of its international parent by running campaigns and events which spread awareness about the human rights violations experienced by so many. They have three campaigns this year: #IWELCOME, #NOTACRIMINAL and Individuals at Risk.

The #IWELCOME campaign addresses the refugee crisis and explores what can be done by the college community. Campaign Coordinator and third-year law and French student, Arlene Walsh-Wallace, believes that it is crucial “to go beyond the sensationalised articles and images circulated on social media regarding the issue” to see the individuals “who have faced difficulties that most of us could not even begin to imagine”. So far this year, she has organized film screenings and panel discussions. On Tuesday of Fourth Week, the campaign collaborated with the SUAS 8 x 8 festival to host a Humans of New York style photography exhibition in the Atrium. Photographs of Trinity students were accompanied by their explanations of why we should welcome refugees. Third-year BESS student and newly elected Ordinary Committee Member (OCM), Kristina Stonkute, expresses the hope that one of the results of this campaign will be that Trinity recognises the need for third-level education for refugees. Walsh-Wallace also plans to hold petition signings and a demonstration at Leinster House with sister campaign groups in other universities. “Students will not stand by as [the government] continue to ignore what is the greatest humanitarian crisis of our generation”, she tells The University Times.

The #NOTACRIMINAL campaign primarily works to change Ireland’s restrictive abortion laws by campaigning to repeal the eighth amendment. Amnesty International advocates for the decriminalisation of abortion and supports access to abortion in cases of rape, incest and when the health or life of the woman is threatened. The campaign also looks at problems such as rape culture and gender-based violence. Recently, the founder of the Repeal Project, Anna Cosgrave, and director of the “We Face This Land” video, Dave Tynan, addressed the society and answered audience questions. DU Amnesty are also working with Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) on an upcoming photography campaign. Third-year English student and Fundraising Officer for the society, Emma Dooney, says this will be similar to the popular “Feminists of Trinity” series, which ran on the union’s Facebook page last year. It will feature photographs of students in favour of the repeal movement as well as a short piece about why the movement is important to them. Dooney is clear: this campaign is a human rights issue.

She cites the UN’s landmark ruling this summer which found Ireland’s abortion laws to be a violation of human rights. Dooney sees face-to-face conversation as the most effective way to engage people. She also hopes that men will get more involved with the campaign, recalling campaign meetings where they were almost entirely unrepresented. “This is an issue that 100 per cent affects them too … we need to humanise the issue and bring it close to home”, she says to The University Times. Similarly, Stonkute expresses the hope that involvement will reach the levels of last year’s marriage referendum, which really engaged the student body.

Finally, the Individuals at Risk campaign mobilises ordinary people to provide hope and transform lives through simple, powerful and persistent action. DU Amnesty is working to raise awareness about the homeless crisis in Ireland. They also highlight individuals at risk around the world such as Ibrahim Halawa and Raif Badawi. Third-year BESS student, Aimee Connolly, joined DU Amnesty “in search of some like-minded people who were actively seeking to make a positive impact in the world”. Now, as Coordinator for the Individuals at Risk campaign, she has the opportunity to make such a change. There are plenty of events in the pipeline, including panel discussions with representatives from homeless organisations and talks from individuals who were once living on the street. Connolly is planning blanket making evenings to provide homeless people with some warmth as the cold sets in as well as petition signings and letter writing for individuals at risk. She also hints at other events soon to be announced, including a sleep-out in early 2017.

Other events coming up soon include the famous Jailbreak Challenge, an event that sees the society collaborate with the Irish charity Saint Vincent De Paul, represented by Trinity Vincent de Paul (Trinity VDP) in college and An Cumann Gaelach. The student-run event challenges participants to travel without spending any money while raising money for societies involved. Other fundraising events include Raise And Give (RAG) Week in March and the Charity Ball, which will take place on November 16th. This Prohibition-style event will feature a wine reception and a three course dinner. Profits are split between all of Trinity’s charities: SUAS, Cancer Soc, Trinity VDP, Trinity Voluntary Tuition Programme (VTP), Student 2 Student (S2S) and DU Amnesty.

DU Amnesty host weekly meetings which are open to all members. At these meetings, members discuss the campaign issues and come up with ideas for related events. Dooney emphasised that people not on the committee play a key role in event organisation. DU Amnesty Secretary, Helen McMahon, agrees, explaining that the regularity of the meetings mean that members “feel directly connected with the events from the get-go without being on committee”. The third-year deaf studies student became involved about halfway through last year by participating in the meetings for the “My Body My Rights” campaign. She found it an excellent way to “engage in topical issues in a relaxed environment and to get to know people”.

This was probably my proudest moment at Amnesty, because it was our decision as students to do it. So many people stopped and stared and were taking photos. It was really empowering

There is also an annual youth conference of all Amnesty college societies. This year, the conference will be hosted by University College Cork (UCC) from November 11th to 12th. It will feature guest speakers, campaign skills training and a chance to meet activists from all around the country. Dooney, who has participated in the past two conferences, recalled the moving testimony of one woman who was diagnosed with a fatal foetal abnormality and had to leave the country to terminate her pregnancy. For Dooney, it is this sharing of personal testimony which is key to increased empathy and support for the repeal the eighth campaign.

She cites the case of Savita Halappanavar and emphasises the need for a sense of urgency: “At the end of the day, if we don’t repeal, we’re going to have another death.” Last year’s conference gave the activists a chance to enact this sense of urgency. Dooney explained how they marched down Henry St and chained themselves to the Spire, chanting “we can’t wait, repeal the eighth”. “This was probably my proudest moment at Amnesty, because it was our decision as students to do it”, Dooney told The University Times. “So many people stopped and stared and were taking photos. It was really empowering.”

Dooney says student engagement in activism is good, “but it could be better”. Agreeing with the campaigns isn’t enough, she says, and students have to go to rallies and demonstrations and lobby their TDs. She would like to see new, creative and practical ways to engage people, recognising that not everybody wants to sit through long panel discussions. “We need more members and more ideas”, Dooney says. This sentiment is echoed by the Sheeran, who hopes for a large group of active members to in order to continue their work “encouraging discussion and change within college through our events and stunts”.