Green Party Senator Launches TCDSU Environmental Lobby Group

Senator Grace O'Sullivan, who launched the lobby group, called on Trinity to divest from fossil fuels.

Dominic McGrath and Róisín Power

Green Party senator, Grace O’Sullivan, joined the calls for Trinity to divest from fossil fuels this evening, speaking at the launch of the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) environmental lobby group.

The environmental lobby group will campaign on a number of areas, including food waste reduction and the dangers of micro-beads and micro-plastics.

Speaking at the launch, O’Sullivan called on students to “use all of your capacity and all of your capabilities and all your resources and believe in yourselves, because over time you can achieve so much”.

“Even with the Trumps of this world coming to this huge international stage, we have to do everything we can to fight for the common good”.

Responding to a question from The University Times, O’Sullivan expressed her support for the Fossil Free TCD campaign that is calling on Trinity to divest from fossil fuels.

Emphasising the alternative energies available, such as wind or tidal energy, O’Sullivan said Trinity could start “spearheading” Ireland’s move towards “healthy, renewable technologies”.

Responding to another question from a member of the audience, O’Sullivan said: “If Trinity can divest, that will be a massive action.”

O’Sullivan also spoke about a bill on the banning of micro-beads that will be discussed at the Seanad next week. In recent years, the US, UK and the Netherlands have banned the substance.

The lobby group is one of eight lobby groups launched this year by TCDSU President, Kieran McNulty.

Speaking at the launch, McNulty said it was about taking campaigns beyond “letters” and “shouting outside Leinster House”. Lobbying, he said, was becoming an increasingly important feature of Irish politics.

Ahead of the launch this evening, Chair of the TCDSU environmental lobby group, Robyn Page-Cowman, speaking to The University Times, said the aim of the evening was to outline what the lobby group would be doing throughout the year.

Page-Cowman emphasised the importance of “engaging” with students. The event, she said, was about “raising the profile of what’s going on on campus in the environmental sector”.

A representative of Fossil Free TCD, Eoin Elliot, also spoke at the launch. Discussing the importance of divestment campaigns, Elliot spoke about the dangers of global warming and discussed the impact it would have if Trinity divests and the “powerful message” that would be sent out if “Ireland’s premier academic institution says we don’t need fossil fuels”.

TCDSU council last night voted to mandate the union to adopt a stance against fracking in Ireland, following the union’s mandate to campaign for Trinity to divest from fossil fuels.

Commenting on the success of the motion last night, McNulty said the union should “support, encourage and praise the people who want to make a change in society”.