Lighthouse Cinema Brings the Rocky Legacy to the Big Screen

This Friday, Sylvester Stallone’s Rocky IV will be screened in the Lighthouse Cinema.

Jennifer WilsonFilm & TV Editor

In the midst of the notorious Watergate Scandal and the war in Vietnam, America’s spirit suffered too. Few believed that a film could have such a profound effect on a nation, not least a film by an entirely unknown actor and screenwriter: the burly, endearingly lispy, irreplaceable Sylvester Stallone. It was Stallone’s poignant fist pump on those Philadelphia steps that got American’s back on its feet. Against all odds, the original Rocky film beat subsequent classics such as Taxi Driver, Network and All the President’s Men to win the Academy Awards Coveted Best Picture. That was 40 years ago. Since then, Stallone ensured Rocky’s longevity by churning out countless sequels adorned with Roman numerals. This November the Lighthouse Cinema brings this film legacy to the big screen, with Rocky IV.

Thirty years have passed since the fourth installment of the Rocky series. To observe this in its glorified, arresting 35.mm film is a treat. In this tale, long-standing Rocky opponent Apollo Creed dies in the ring and Rocky takes it upon himself to avenge his rival’s death by travelling to the Soviet Union. Rocky IV funnelled politics through the crowds into the ring in this installment, hailed as the film which brought down the Berlin Wall. This Cold War classic serves as a gentle reminder of the political woes that plagued our world thirty years ago.

More recently, Apollo Creed’s name was revived when his love child’s story was explored in Ryan Coogler’s superb 2015 film. Creed succeeded in breathing life back into a deflated franchise. Only time will tell how the Rocky installments unfold after the success of Creed and it is anyone’s guess, what boxing tale we will be watching in another 30 years.

Rocky IV will be screened in the Lighthouse Cinema on Friday at 10.30pm.