Navigating Political Correctness in College

Ellen Orchard explores the pitfalls of the word 'problematic', but also looks at how the idea can be used to open up conversations on political correctness.

Ellen OrchardDeputy Opinion Editor
Eavan McLoughlin for The University Times

In college discussion, it is not uncommon to hear the word “problematic”.  People point out how books you love are inherently misogynistic, TV shows you think are funny lack racial diversity, the vocabulary you use in the day-to-day shows your privilege and things that you thought for certain to be true are actually social constructs. People would likely take issue with this last sentence, with its gross generalizations that portray the politically correct as bad cops. And they’d be right to. While it’s easy to bemoan the discomfort caused by political correctness, at times, its existence is extremely important because the alternative is bleak.

There has been a lot of discussion in the media recently regarding political correctness and free speech, placing them directly in opposition with each other. Essentially, the trend is to denounce political correctness as shutting down discussion and as something that works in opposition to the concept of free speech – that freedom of speech allows people to say what they wish and that politically correct people are silencing others’ right to speak. Ultimately, however, this is misguided because at the heart of their definitions free speech and political correctness have more similarity than difference: both of them were born out of wish to give voice to marginalized groups.

Free speech has recently been equated as license to say hateful things without guilt or baggage. It’s almost like the ultimate revitalization of a backhanded compliment, like the killer phrase “no offence, but…”

The terms have strayed from their original intentions. For example, free speech has recently been equated as license to say hateful things without guilt or baggage. It’s almost like the ultimate revitalization of a backhanded compliment, like the killer phrase “no offence, but…” – something hurtful rebranded as something acceptable by a new label. At the same time, people are exhausted with political correctness. A couple of months ago, I went to see a play that played off of Irish stereotypes. Playing with stereotypes is always a bit of an ethically grey area, but it doesn’t automatically fit the label of “problematic”.

Speaking about the performance afterwards and about how much we enjoyed it, one friend brought up how she found the portrayal of the priest character offensive. Nobody argued with her, although defensively, I quietly disagreed: I had really enjoyed the play, and the conversation ended shortly afterwards. I found myself slightly annoyed that this had been brought up. In hindsight, I don’t think I was really annoyed with her but rather uneasy in myself. The effect that things that are “problematic” has on conversations is curious, at times putting people on the defensive, making them consider whether the fact that they didn’t pick up on an offensive aspect makes them ignorant. While it can create discomfort, it is necessary conversation.

Allowing discourse around problematic things that isn’t founded on condescension and judgement is crucial

Earlier this month, a similar instance occurred surrounding Fossil Free TCD’s event, Solidarity with Standing Rock, which took place in Front Square. Commenting on the teepee made for the event, a friend brought up cultural appropriation. While in this case, I didn’t necessarily see the connection, it was brought up in such a way that wasn’t an attack and, despite the knee-jerk reaction of wondering if the conversation was overtly critical, I’m glad to be in a community that questions things that are not self-evident.

It’s a shame that “PC-culture” has gained the negative reputation that it has and that conversations within and around it are often difficult. But I don’t think it should stop them. Certainly, there are problems with the way the term “problematic” is used. It seems to stand at that shaky intersection where the critical becomes the smug. There can be a certain superiority yielded when using it, particularly in a college setting, that in certain cases people feel as though it is their duty to instruct. And, sometimes, it feels like the word has become a throwaway term. But behind its use is an admirable purpose. Here, the problem isn’t in discussing what is genuinely problematic – I think that’s important. If that were ever to stop, College would be an entirely different space, a much more narrow-minded one. Allowing discourse around problematic things that isn’t founded on condescension and judgement is crucial. The labelling of political correctness as curtailing discussion is a dangerous path.