RTÉ Concert Orchestra Promises Memorable Evening for Trekkies

The RTÉ Concert Orchestra plans to bring the 2009 adaptation of Star Trek to life by performing the score live to a screening of the picture on Friday and Saturday evening.

Maeve O’BrienContributing Writer

This Friday and Saturday, the Bord Gais Energy Theatre will play host to the RTÉ Concert Orchestra, who will perform the score to the first instalment of JJ Abrams 2009 reboot of the classic franchise. Having taken on such classic scores as Back to the Future, Aliens, Indiana Jones and, most recently Pyscho, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra now look to the cult classic series to test their skills.

The orchestra’s live performances of film scores reinvigorate classics for long-time fans and newcomers alike. Seeing your favourite film in theatre always promises to be a memorable experience but the live performance can add a magical air to the night.

The 2009 revival of Star Trek benefited massively from the score by regular Abrams collaborator Michael Giacchino, who draws on the original theme by Alexander Courage for inspiration throughout his score. In fact the evening is almost worth attending for Giacchino’s score alone. Starting his career in video game scoring, Giacchino has since gone on to be a regular collaborator with Abrams on projects like Lost and Super 8, while also writing for Pixar movies like The Incredibles and more notably the heart-breaking UP for which he won an Oscar. Giacchino is set to further establish himself as an in demand composer for the sci-fi genre with his recent work for Marvel’s Doctor Strange and the upcoming Star Wars project Rogue One.

Since its release in 2009, Abram’s Star Trek reboot has received two sequels, with the most recent having been released this year to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the initial television series. While Star Trek has lived through many revivals since the initial series ended in 1969, the most recent film versions have been largely well received and certainly have been commercially successful. Something of an origin story, the 2009 Star Trek focuses on the problematic relationship between James T Kirk (Chris Pine) and Spock (Zachary Quinto) as they attempt to rescue Captain Pike (Bruce Greenwood) from the clutches of Nero (Eric Bana) and prevent him from carrying out his destructive plan. They are supported by a strong cast of Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Karl Urban and the late Anton Yelchin who make up the crew of the Enterprise. A cameo from Leonard Nimoy sees him play an older Spock, he gives the film a link back to its television roots and gives fans a chance to see him in the role he was best remembered for.

Even for non-tekkies, this rendition of Star Trek is accessible and enjoyable, an adventure film as its core, with the score serving to highlight all that is playful and entertaining in the film.

The event is on November 4th and 5th in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre starting at 7.30pm. Tickets from €20 to €58.50.