The Most Fashionable Meal of the Day: Brunch in Dublin

Maryia Ditchkowska explores the growing brunch trend in Dublin and offers a selection of the best places to try out this Reading Week.

Maryia DitchkowskaFood & Drink Editor

Although originally an American trend, the brunch scene has always been somewhat present in Dublin. Many places that are open on Sunday offer some sort of a brunch selection for those who have managed to get out of bed before midday. Recently, this tendency has begun to change, with more and more places opening and ready to offer their clients nearly all-day brunches, with some places even offering this every day of the week.

Relatively new on the market, Meet Me in the Morning is a little place so cosy that you nearly forget how hipster the setting is. It is an ideal spot for a long, lazy brunch with your friends, with the menu covering the essentials of any good brunch, from fried eggs to yoghurt and panсakes. It offers a place to relax, with its minimalistic design and perfect set-up for people watching. The portions are more than plenty, and the food itself is simple yet delicious. My personal favourite is the eggs with yoghurt, as they are made just right, not overcooked and not too intense in flavour – precisely the way you want it. Beware of the pancakes with apple syrup and cream cheese, as they are incredibly sweet, filling and addictive.

Not at all new to the brunch market, Wuff is still somewhat of a dark horse. Located in Dublin 7, it is not exactly on the way to class for the majority of students, yet the place deserves to be noticed. The rustic interior design of the bistro, with attention to finer details, gives the place an intriguing look. On the weekend, it is pretty crowded, so you might have to wait for a table. But, in my experience, it is worth it. Wuff probably offers the best eggs Benedict I have tried in Dublin so far. Their eggs are made exactly as you want them, the brioche is soft and slightly toasted and the salmon is smoked perfectly to compliment the rest. Additionally, Wuff has quite an impressive list of drinks for those who feel like their morning could be made a bit better with an alcoholic beverage in hand.

3fe coffee is all over the city. The cafe, however, is not as famous, and it is, indeed, a shame – their brunches and lunches are simply amazing. Located in the Grand Canal Docks, this place is busy on weekdays and weekends alike. On the weekend, they serve absolutely delicious lunches and soups, which run out rather quickly. For their weekend brunch, they offer a rather small menu, which changes fairly regularly depending on the season. Among my personal favourites are their seasonal toasts with eggs. The toppings for these toasts can vary, and the best eggs I have tried were with mushrooms and greens. They also have a pancake option, which is often served with apple compote and pecans. To make the place even better, the cafe, of course, serves its own famous coffee, and their baristas are always ready to give you a piece of advice.

Finally, as a bit of a wildcard entry, comes the relatively small Olesya’s on Exchequer St, known for its quality cooking and unusual Irish dishes that are often an authentic interpretation of French cuisine in the context of Eastern European cooking. What has remained largely unknown about this place is that they offer bottomless prosecco during every Sunday brunch for those who know how to start their day off right.