A Christmas Appeal, Tribute to Tinsel and Bob Geldolf: Your Week Ahead

This week will also see Law Soc host Jingle Law the Way, and TAW turn the GMB into a mini Christmas market.

Grace MeagherDeputy Societies Editor

As the Michaelmas term comes to an end, the final week of lectures is still brimming with events from about every society to keep you in the festive mood. Throughout the week you can channel your inner goodwill, as Trinity VDP is running their Christmas appeal up until Friday, where you can still donate your shoeboxes or contribute to their food appeal.

Monday evening will see Trinity Ents and Dublin University Alternative Music (DUAMS) hosting the Battle of the Bands semi-final in The Wiley Fox with acts Ryan Tynsall, Blaming Hannah, Moogee and Mr Rosso. Alternatively, head over to the cosy venue of Adelphi to join DU Film in A Very Throwback Christmas, where they’ll be celebrating in the most 80s way possible with crafts, snacks, fireplaces and mulled wine. Nostalgic Christmas attire is encouraged.

Tuesday is jam-packed, with the Trinitones performing their annual charity Christmas concert, A Tribute to Tinsel, in the College Chapel in aid of St Vincent de Paul and Amnesty International. Admission is free, however donations to these charities are encouraged. Later that evening, Trinity Law Society (Law Soc) will be continuing the charitable trend with their night of festive frolicking in Jingle Law the Way, with proceeds going to the Saoirse Women’s Refuge. Trinity Literary Society (Lit Soc) are finishing up term with a Christmas Literary Lock In – a perfect excuse to procrastinate from essay deadlines. Join them in the Vis Arts room of House Six from 7pm.

Trinity Arts Workshop (TAW) are turning the GMB into a mini Christmas market on Wednesday, as they host their Christmas fair with VDP. Artwork donated from students will be available to purchase, and all the proceeds will go to Trinity Vincent de Paul (VDP). For a more erudite evening, join the University Historical Society (the Hist) and Trinity College Theological Society (Theo) for their debate, “This House, as Pontius Pilate, Would Allow the Execution of Christ” on Wednesday.

Thursday will see Law Soc welcome the singer, songwriter, author and activist Sir Bob Geldof and award the society’s Praeses Elit Award. The talk will be hosted in the School of Midwifery and Nursing on D’Olier Street and with doors opening at 12.50pm, this event is sure to be one to arrive to early. On a more festive note, the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) will be throwing one of the many Christmas parties happening Thursday night, where music and refreshments will be provided, along with the Phil’s usual glittery decadence. If you’d prefer a more low-key way to celebrate the impending holidays, Q Soc are hosting a Christmas jumper-making extravaganza in the Eliz Rooms on Thursday at 2pm with VisArts – perfect for when the next 12 pubs of Christmas rolls around!