A Fresh Addition to the Dublin Street-Food Scene: Eatyard

This month, the Bernard Shaw is playing host to a unique food market with an amazing variety of hearty soul foods to suit all.

Rebecca Wynne-WalshDeputy Radius Editor

The ever-popular Portebello pub The Bernard Shaw is upping its game for the month of December with the Eatyard, a quirky outdoor food market adjacent to the pub itself. The market is open Thursday to Sunday, with admission free before 5pm and €2 thereafter.

Eatyard itself fills a small space with an amazing variety of hearty soul foods. Fan favourites amongst hungry Trinity students like Pitt Bros and the Pie Man have stalls. While the selections in the pop-up versions are not as expansive as their city-centre counterparts, all the biggest hits are available. So, if you have a craving for some pulled pork and mac’n’cheese or a beef and Guinness pie, then you won’t be disappointed. There is also an excellent burger stall boasting sweet potato chips that are most definitely something to write home about. But the food does not end there. There are incredible vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options on offer, even a stall especially for vegan “fish” and chips.

Just when you think you’ve eaten your fill, Eatyard tempts you away from the savoury and into the sweet. One of the stars of the show at the market is the Cornude artisan popcorn stand. While presenting run-of-the-mill salted popcorn, they have so much more beyond that. A firm favourite is the seasalt and caramel popcorn. There is also delicious melted marshmallow popcorn that is highly addictive – consider that a warning. In true Eatyard spirit, however, Cornude offers something for everyone, even those not of the sweet-toothed persuasion, with wild flavours such as pistachio or chilli-peanut. It’s fun to set a group off loose amongst the stalls as the irresistible scents of all the different food companies fill the air, just to see what delightful snacks and meals they return with.

Even if you’re not in the mood for a big meal, Eatyard is a great place to go for a simple pint and a bag of chips. The Bernard Shaw’s own brewing department of Bodytonic, Brewtonic, has its own bar set up in the heart of the food market for liquid sustenance. They will be serving a slew of their own brews including Four20 and 011 Black Rye Ale. Jameson Whiskey is also on hand for fans of something stronger.

Yet, in spite of all this, it is actually the staff who are the highlight of Eatyard. The bartenders are happy to offer tastes of lagers their customers haven’t heard of. The lovely lady selling popcorn threw in a bit extra for a little boy who was short on change. Even the maintenance staff are cheerful and chatty, one man was literally whistling while he worked. All these factors combined make Eatyard more than just a food market – it’s a warm and friendly experience.

There is a fun community spirit about the place. Nestled in next to the Bernard Shaw, Eatyard has definitely been repeatedly passed by hosts of students on foot or by bus on their way in and out of college. Countless of us have thought to ourselves, “I must go in there and see what they have”, and yet never ventured inside. Eatyard is something fun, something different and only here for a limited amount of time. If you go after dark, then you’ll be treated to an adorable food market, aglow with fairy lights, buzzing with energy and complimented by the sounds of laughter and 80s pop classics that are played unobtrusively in the background.