A World of Pure Imagination at the Sugar Club

Tomorrow, the cinema will screen Roald Dahl’s much-loved classic Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as part of their festive programme.

Nicole MatherContributing Writer

Humour. Sugar-laced food. Snug couches. What more could you want this weekend? That was exactly my question when I heard of the upcoming screening of one of Roald Dahl’s most popular books and films. Food and movie lovers alike will marvel at this weekend’s showing of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in the Sugar Club, where adults and children can sit back, relax and enjoy Dahl’s classic.

Based on his book, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a renowned movie that provides a thrilling experience of the world of sugar, chocolate and fantasies. Not only do the lucky moviegoers get to watch the meddling children feast upon chocolate fountains and edible plants, they also are provided with pizza, gourmet popcorn, cocktails and much more to join in with the feasting theme of the movie. The Sugar Club is a place of lounge, relaxation and enjoyment. Upon arrival, you can relax and settle into the red velvet couches while enjoying the pleasant ambiance and buzz of the event. The Sugar Club provides a luxurious and impressive experience weather for a film screening, a live band or a comedy act.

The Sugar Club, in conjunction with Popcorn, are showing the 1971 classic just in time for the Christmas period. This movie brings every child’s fantasies to life and leaves them wishing they too could find the golden ticket. The viewing will also act as a celebration of the work of the recently deceased Gene Wilder. Wilder portrays the fantasy world of Dahl effortlessly, while providing the audience with an almost dark humour throughout.

Willy Wonka invites five lucky winners to tour his chocolate factory for a day but is not prepared for the spoilt behaviour of the visitors. Riddled with small moral stories and jokes, this classic film not only provides laughs for families and teenagers alike, it also reminds us that greediness and spoilt qualities are never liked. Every child who discovers the ticket is extremely spoilt and rude with vast amounts of money to spend. That is, except Charlie (Peter Ostrum), the last boy to find the golden ticket. Wonka takes quiet delight in seeing each spoilt child punished in his factory for their behaviour. Throughout the film, excellent musical numbers and dances are incorporated to make it light hearted and joyous.

Journey back to your childhood fantasies and silliness to delight in the world of sweet treats and all things classic. This screening will be shown in the Sugar Club this Saturday, December 3rd. Doors will be opening at 7.45pm and the movie will begin at 8.30. Tickets can be bought on the Sugar Club website for a reasonable €12.50. Not to be missed this event promises to provide an entertaining Saturday night for all.