DU Players on Being a Dramatic Sanctuary on Campus

After a busy week of productions culminating in last night’s 24 hour musical, Grace Meagher learns more about the society’s ongoing events and efforts to become more inclusive.

Grace MeagherDeputy Societies Editor
With 24 hours to rehearse, DU Players put on a full production of Sister Actually last night.

Throughout the year, DU Players continually put on exceptional productions, and this was only continued into the Christmas season. This week alone saw four performances hosted by Players. Bear, a re-imagination of Chekov’s famous comedy by Brian Friel and Human, an original drama by the brothers Douglas that was considerably less comedic and more alternative. Wednesday evening saw the performance of Player’s Nativity along with a screening of Love Actually. Finally, this weekend the annual 24 hour musical was held in the form of Sister Actually, with proceeds going to the Irish Refugee Council.

Publicity and Communications officer Jimmy Kavanagh and Entertainment officer Conor Murray found time in the midst of the musical’s preparations to speak to The University Times about the society’s busy schedule. This was evident by the sheer amount of activity in Player’s Theatre, with actors rehearsing, musicians practicing or crew members preparing the necessary props in every available room. Seeing that this musical was, in fact, being entirely put together in 24 hours was intriguing. However, Murray ensured that the difficulty of producing this is eased by having a “great team who get along really well” and a cast that can improvise, remarking “we’ve run this scene once and it’s happening now”. While it is a hectic 24 hours, it’s a “nice way for people who haven’t been involved in the society to take part as everyone who auditions gets a role”. The popularity of the musical is undoubtable as people come back “year after year because it’s such an intensely fun experience”.

There can be a perception of Players as being a cliquey group, which we as a committee have tried really hard to get rid of and make it more open to everyone

Expectations for the musical weren’t exceptionally high as the difficulty of producing such an event in a single day was palpable in the theatre during the preparations. That being said, the show was extremely well executed. Initially, it seemed that the audience found the humour disproportionately funny, however after the “real multi-coloured mink coat” joke made even cast members snigger, the show proved itself to be raucously funny. It was easy to forget rehearsals had only begun the day before as the performance was genuinely convincing and entertaining. While it is difficult to choose a single highlight from the evening, seeing nuns run around to snippets of Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel or the Benny Hill theme was jarringly funny.

Considering the amount of work and professionalism required to maintain Players’ standard of drama, the society is run very well by a full committee. Commenting on the success of Players as a whole, Murray credits “our very well run committee”, and Kavanagh adds “ a lot goes on behind the scenes, but it’s mostly down to the shows that our members put on and the amount of effort they put in”. The members do, in fact, put in many hours, as Players has one of the largest active member bases, in that every member is constantly doing something. Kavanagh explained “there’s not a lot of people who just come to watch the shows, most people are also helping make them” and “there’s something for everyone to do”. Getting involved in productions is almost unavoidable, as Murray remarks “it’s hard to sit in front of house for ten minutes without being asked to do something”.

Players is also overwhelmingly welcome to newcomers which combats the notion of the society as being somewhat exclusive. Kavanagh explained “there can be a perception of Players as being a cliquey group, which we as a committee have tried really hard to get rid of and make it more open to everyone”. Their subcommittees are a fantastic way to get involved and “to have something to work on when there isn’t a show”, whether it’s tech, entertainment, publicity or more.

It’s a good place to take risks and you learn a lot from failing

Maintaining the idea that Players is a welcome and open place for anyone interested in drama, Kavanagh admits that “it’s a good place to take risks and you learn a lot from failing”. Murray explained that the theatre is “a safe space to fail”. They believe that improvement is important and that anyone can go on to produce one of Players’ tremendous shows.

It’s a busy time for Players, as submissions for Hilary term productions have recently closed and selection is underway for the ten spots available. Their Fringe Festival, taking place the weekend of the 22nd of January, where submissions are encouraged to be “more experimental, and submit things they wouldn’t usually do to Players”. With the eventful week had by the society, even greater things can be expected in the upcoming term.