School of English Review Calls for Staff Workload Analysis and Greater Use of Technology

A largely positive review criticised the school's 'paper-based culture', but praised the high level of school staff active in research.

Maeve ClaffeyContributing Writer
Sergey Alifanov for The University Times

A largely positive quality review of Trinity’s School of English has praised the school’s strong research output and ethos while drawing attention to its “paper-based culture” and the negative effects that the College’s online systems are having on its work.

The external review, undertaken between March 30th and April 1st of this year, drew attention to the school’s high score in the QS World University Rankings and levels of collegiality and loyalty in the school, highlighting that 100 per cent of the school’s academic staff were active in research. It was recommended, however, that the school greater embrace technology-based learning and that staff workload be reduced, as well as calling for a harmonisation of undergraduate regulations.

The review was brought to a meeting of University Council on September 28th, where the then-Head of School, Prof Chris Morash, who is now the Vice-Provost, was unable to attend. Provost Patrick Prendergast, however, noted that the report was positive but acknowledged that it could have been more useful if structured as a critique.

Many of the issues raised in the review reflect college-wide issues, including the requirement for more space and an upgrading of facilities. The University Times reported in October that College is undertaking a feasibility study of the Arts Block with the aim of looking at how it can improve and develop spaces and rooms within the nearly 50-year-old building. The review also raised significant issues with Trinity IT’s sytems. The review draws attention to the school’s paper-based culture, with students submitting physical copies of assignments rather than through services like Blackboard or Turnitin.

The review also mentioned methods by which staff member’s workloads could be reduced. Examples given were to introduce a clear workload formula, moving away from a paper-based culture and reorganising the school’s management and support structure. It also recommended that the school use the opportunities presented by the Trinity Education Project, the ongoing reconfiguration of how Trinity’s undergraduate students are taught and assessed, such as using the newly appointed Fellows, who have been appointed to work with schools during the process.

The review suggested that the school modify its existing courses to fit more closely with the features emerging from the project, including that the school could provide greater training and support to postgraduate research students and teaching assistants, as well as using technology more frequently.

The report also made reference to possible methods of fundraising, suggesting that greater use be made of the Senior Faculty Research Support Officer, as well suggesting that greater investment be made at faculty-level regarding website development and upkeep to improve consistency in the School’s IT. The possibility of introducing summer schools was also put forward.

The Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences has worked with the Head of School of English to draw up an implementation plan based on the review’s findings.

In an email to The University Times, Morash said he couldn’t comment because, as Vice-Provost, he now chairs the Quality Committee. Due to this conflict of interest, he has not taken part in any discussions on the review of the School of English.