DUFC Suffer Defeat to Dominant Clontarf Side, Losing 29-0

DUFC lost 29-0 to Clontarf yesterday evening in College Park in a disappointing start to the new year.

Joe HoranStaff Writer

For fans of Dublin University Football Club (DUFC), Trinity’s rugby team, it was unfortunately not a happy start to the new year as the team began its second half of the league season with a disappointing defeat in College Park. This was the first round of All-Ireland League fixtures since December 3rd. Trinity were looking for a strong return to form but, in the end, suffered a humbling loss at the hands of last year’s champions, Clontarf.

The visitors were strong favourites coming into the game. Their side featured familiar names such as Leinster second-row Mick Kearney, and Heineken Cup winner Jason Harris Wright. Former Leinster winger and Ireland Sevens international Mick McGrath is a prolific try-scorer at this level and would go on to have a major influence on the match. DUFC also came into this game with many injuries, including three players in the vital openside flanker position. Jack Kelly and Colm Hogan were also rested due to the upcoming Under 20s Six Nations. That being said, Trinity will not be looking for excuses. The team knows its performances must improve if it is to remain competitive in Ireland’s toughest club league.

Clontarf started the better of the two sides. However, what appeared to be a superb, momentum-shifting double tackle from Patrick Finlay and Cian O’Dwyer on Kearney was dubiously deemed illegal by the referee. This gave ‘Tarf winger Rob Keogh a first shot at goal. He missed the long range attempt but the North Dublin outfit continued to put the pressure on their hosts. Keogh soon was given another opportunity to put points on the board but again was wide with his effort. Finally, after 30 minutes, Clontarf’s pressure was translated into a score when some poor tackling from Trinity allowed McGrath to dot down under the posts after a meandering run. The score remained 7-0 until half-time. Trinity would have been relieved to still be in the game having had virtually no attacking opportunities.

Clontarf started the second-half the stronger side and a beautifully worked inside-ball move allowed McGrath to grab his second try. After this point, DUFC appeared to wake up. They went through some promising attacking phases and were rewarded with penalties. The scrum was looking very strong but a gilt-edged five metre, attacking maul opportunity was squandered after 62 minutes and Trinity’s hopes of winning the game now appeared to be slim. On 69 minutes, Keogh nailed a penalty to put the visitors three scores up at 17-0.

At this point, DUFC’s goose appeared to be cooked. Changes were made but that did not stop some careless defence allowing McGrath to waltz through to complete his hat-trick after 75 minutes. Another try would secure a bonus point for ‘Tarf. In the final play, McGrath stepped up once more to secure the extra point all by himself. It was a very impressive performance by the bearded back who demonstrated why he had been on Leinster’s books in the past. Keogh converted to leave the final score at 29-0.

It is never nice to be nilled in your own backyard and DUFC must learn from this experience. They need to work towards returning to their early season form which saw them at the top of the table. They currently sit in the dreaded relegation play-off spot in ninth. However, there is still much to play for as Trinity are equal on points with the next two teams above them and are only six points shy of the play-off positions. The All-Ireland League is extremely competitive this season. Their prospects are not helped by the fact that out-half Tommy Whittle, playing his first league game in months, dislocated his shoulder and will now require surgery. It has proved a tough and attritional league for the student side but focus now turns to next Saturday’s away fixture at Cork Constitution, where DUFC will look to get back to winning ways.