Stunts, Screenplays and Shorts: DU Film Present the Film Network

This weekend, the society will offer students with an interest in the film industry the opportunity to meet major names in the industry, including Peter Dillon, Rachel O’Flanagan and Andrew Bradford.

Jennifer WilsonFilm & TV editor
Róisín Power for The University Times

DU Film’s annual networking event returns to the Samuel Beckett Theatre this Friday for a weekend of curated film heaven. The schedule is heartily filled to the brim with engaging speakers and riveting conversations from the stellar panel on offer. In the midst of awards season, pangs of admiration for the film industry begin to surface. Budding cinematographers and visionary directors come to the forefront, looking for inspiration, and most importantly in search of nuggets of information on breaking into the industry.

Last year DU Film managed to wrangle celebrated film producer and Trinity graduate Ed Guiney to make an appearance at the event. Guiney, a veteran in the industry, appeared at a fortuitous point in his career, just as his film Room, directed by Lenny Abrahamson, would go on to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture the following month. Such high-quality talent and influencers continue to dominate the Film Network’s lineup this year.

The first part of the Film Network takes place on Friday January 20th, beginning at 5pm. A panel format will be set up, featuring a variety of industry professionals. Action takes precedence as Peter Dillon, stuntman for productions such as The Lord of the Rings, Penny Dreadful and Vikings, is set to kick off the event with tales from his stunt work. Dillon will also be in attendance the following morning. For those interested in shorts, short film director Eoghan McQuinn will be on hand to discuss his projects such as Staccato, Homegrown Knowledge and The Chance of Striking Gold, as well as his credits on the TV series Vikings. Following this, Trinity experts will play their part in contributing to the discussion. Film professor Ruth Barton will be in attendance, as will Justin Macgregor, film and screenwriting professor. Following these conversations, an invaluable networking drinks will take place, giving attendees the chance to dig deeper on any subject that has peaked their interest.

An earlier start greets attendees the following day on Saturday 21st, with activities set to begin at 10am. Various speakers are set to voice their opinions and share their experiences of the industry. Saturday’s line-up is more commercially-inclined, with guests ranging from a film festival production manager to a media company owner. Rachel O’Flanagan, script consultant and screenwriting expert, will be on hand to take questions from any budding writers with a story to tell. Director Gerard Walsh will follow, the man behind the acclaimed Irish film South, a charming offering that debuted at the Galway Film Fleadh last year. Emer Reynolds, Editor of Eclipse and Patrick’s Day, as well as music video and short film director Bob Gallagher are the next speakers.

Owner of Sweet Media, Andrew Bradford, is set to discuss his firm’s projects such as the RSA advertisements, Direct Line’s “Mr Wolf” campaign starring Harvey Keitel as well as the Tullamore Dew advertisements. The final speaker of the weekend is Liam Ryan, production manager for the much-anticipated Audi Dublin International Film Festival. While this year’s line-up is being kept strictly under wraps, previous years have demonstrated the festival’s ability to leverage Irish talent to be recognised on a global scale. Last year alone saw the premiere of the Golden Globe-nominated Sing Street as well as a heart-wrenching screening of Time Out of Mind with Richard Gere himself in attendance.

DU Film Network’s outstanding lineup is not to be missed. For any young idealist with an eye for frames, an ear for scores or just a heart in film, this is the event for you.

A weekend pass costs €15 and a Saturday pass costs only €10.The event page with the programme is here and tickets can be purchased through the Facebook page here. The tickets cover admittance to all the talks, free drinks and snacks at the networking reception, and a programme and lanyard for the event.