Beginners on the Ball at Handball Intervarsities

Trinity Handball enjoyed an excellent outing at their third intervarsity event this year, winning one gold and two silver medals.

Dillon HennessySports Editor

Drawing on their successful experiences at their last two intervarsity tournaments this season, Trinity’s handball team took home three medals from the showpiece event in the intervarsity handball calendar, the 40×20 Intervarsities in Kingscourt, Co Cavan last weekend. The clubs novices have shown strong potential so far this year and that proved to be the case over the two days.

There were some standout performances from newcomers on the Trinity handball scene. Intervarsity debutant Kai Feng Dai excelled for Trinity, winning the Men’s Challenger grade, while Elle Mullarcy finished second in the Ladies Challenger grade after a sterling performance. To put their performances in perspective, it’s worth noting that both Dai and Mullarcy only took up the sport earlier in the year.

The final of the the Ladies Open Grade saw a titanic clash, as former club captain Ciara Mahon took on Ciana Ni Churraoin, of the University of Limerick, for their third singles final in two years. The score was one a piece ahead of this contest but unfortunately for the handball team, Ni Churraoin came out victorious and Mahon had to settle for silver.

TCDGAA Handball Club Captain, Lisa McKenna, reached the quarterfinal of the Ladies A Grade with a string of good performances and Roisin Meehan reached the quarterfinal of the Ladies B Grade.

Among the men there were notable performances from Diarmuid Ó Múirí and Conal Cosgrove, who reprieved their impressive showings at the intervarsity tournament last November, reaching the quarterfinals of the Men’s Contender Grade. Lucas Dowling also did well, coming third in his group for the Men’s Challenger Grade.