Éigse Murder Mystery, Food Waste Fiasco and a Viking Pub Crawl: Your Week Ahead

Fionnuala Egan traces the most promising events taking places this week from a busy line-up presented by Éigse na Tríonóide to Trinity Arts Festival.

Fionnuala EganSocieties Editor

Fourth Week is an exciting time in Trinity, with both Éigse na Tríonóide and Trinity Arts Festival (TAF) running a diverse selection of events throughout the week that aim to celebrate culture and arts in a range of imaginative and fanciful ways.

This evening at 6.30pm, the College Historical Society’s (the Hist) Burke Sessions Committee and Trinity Politics Society (Pol Soc) will be hosting a panel discussion on the role of political satire in the Trump era. Popular and high-profile satirists Oliver Callan of Callan’s Kicks, David McSavage of The Savage Eye and Seamus O’Shea of The Ulster Fry will be joining student speakers to address the issue.

At 7pm, Éigse na Tríonóide will officially kick off in Seomra na Gaeilge with a speech from Eoghan Ó Neachtain, rugby commentator and former press secretary to Bertie Ahern, Brian Cowen and Enda Kenny. Recent winners of Trinity’s Best Dance Crew, An Cumann Gaelach, will also give a special performance, with a wine reception to follow.

Trinity Arts Festival (TAF) will be holding their launch night at 7.30pm in Trinity Chapel. They will be welcoming talented up-and-coming acts Moogee, Bad Sea, Moonlookson and Farah Elle and promise an ethereal experience. A further breakdown of the events taking place this week as part of TAF can be found here.

On Tuesday at 3pm, the Phil’s Bram Stoker Club is collaborating with An Cumann Gaelach to celebrate Éigse na Tríonóide with a paper entitled “Tiocfaidh Ár nGrá – an examination of our troubled relationship with the Irish Language”. It will examine contemporary attitudes to and the future of our native language. This event will be held in the University Philosophical Society’s (the Phil) Conversation Room.

Then at 7pm, An Cumann Gaelach and DU Players will be presenting the Éigse Murder Mystery, featuring all the characters you know and love from the Leaving Cert Irish course, from Pádraig Pearse to Jimmy of An Gnáthrud and Paul from unforgettable Cáca Milis. Head along to Seomra na Gaeilge for a chance to win two tickets for the Éigse gig on Thursday!

On Wednesday, Trinity Environmental Society’s Food Waste Fiasco will take place from 12pm on the Physics Lawn. This is a chance to discuss ways to solve the current crisis that sees tonnes of food go to waste every day. It’s also an opportunity to get some free food.

Later, at 6pm, Dara McGrath will address DUPA in the Phil Conversation Room. This event is in conjunction with TAF Talks. The Irish based commercial photographer will discuss his work and the event will conclude with a wine reception.

Suas Trinity will be holding a panel discussion on education, equality and activism at 7pm in the MacNeill Theatre. The talk will be chaired by Dr Gillian Wylie of the Irish School of Ecumenics. She will be joined by notable guest speakers including Malaka Mohammed, a Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaigner from Palestine, Eileen Flynn from the Irish Traveller Movement, and housing rights activist Erica Fleming.

Alternatively, you could join Trinity Ents and DU History at the Pav at 7pm for their Viking-themed pub crawl. They’ll be kicking things off with some games and swordplay before beginning a tour through debaucherous Dublin. For an even more surreal affair, TAF invites you to join them at No 12 Henrietta St for a black tie Murder Mystery event in a Georgian Manor. Generous prizes are promised, as are refreshments. Dress code: “Black tie, long dresses, and surrealist heads”.

At 8.30pm, QSoc will be screening Paris is Burning in Players Theatre. This documentary focuses on drag queens living in New York City and offers a stark yet bedazzling view of both drag and queer history.

Thursday sees a lavish wine and cheese evening hosted by Trinity French Society, which will take place at 5pm in the Eliz Rooms, House 6. At 7.30pm, Christian Union welcomes Prof Andrew Bowie to give a talk entitled “Why Believe?” in Room 3074. Also at 7.30pm, the Phil will be holding their first ever Societies Liferaft debate, in association with TAF. This will see representatives from Trinity’s biggest and best artsy societies defend their society!

Finally, take a breather after a jam-packed week with DU Film Soc’s screening of politically motivated children’s TV shows, from Saved by the Bell to The Simpsons. This event is in association with TAf and will be held in the Hist Conversation Room at 4pm.