TCDSU Elections 2017

Who is Running in This Year’s TCDSU Elections?

President

Thomas Emmet

Why he’s running
“I’m running for president because I’ve seen two very good and very different presidents and I think that there’s a middle ground between what they both do … I’m running because I want the student union to become more representative.”

Kevin Keane

Why he’s running
“Trinity has given me a lot, and I’ve been lucky that I’ve felt very part of this community, and I want to empower people to take their place in the Trinity community because if the SU is failing to do that, we’re failing as an SU.”

Bryan Mallon

Why he’s running
“Not only can you come to third-level, you can actually make it to Trinity College, Dublin, the best college in Ireland. Nothing will restrict you from that once you have the ambition. And if I pass up the opportunity to give people that, I’d regret it for the rest of my life. That’s as simple as that.”

Education Officer

Alice MacPherson

Why she’s running
“I have the experience to get things done and the ideas to inspire change.”

Welfare Officer

Meabh Cullen

Why she’s running
“I’m an ambassador for the disability service here in College, so I’ve been exposed to a lot of what they do, and the services and supports that they give to students … And I want to up the profile of other services such as the Student Counselling Service, and the College Health Centre.”

Laura Grady

Why she’s running
“I want people to know that they can come to the Welfare Officer if the tip of their pencil breaks. If that upsets them, you can speak to the Welfare Officer. Even if you never step foot inside House Six, I want everyone to know that I will be here. That is a big passion of mine and why I am running for it. ”

Damien McClean

Why he’s running
“I really enjoy helping other people – because I can – and, as much as enjoying it, it’s also so important … So that’s why I’m running. I think I can do a really good job at the role.”

Emma Purser

Why she’s running
“I just want to be a listening ear for someone to have someone to go to in a safe, non-judgemental space. It’s just to make sure people’s college year reaches their full potential.”

Rachel Skelly

Why she’s running
“ In my second year, I got involved in the consent campaign and it turned everything around. I felt so empowered and it felt incredible to have had this problem and to be able to turn around and use it as an experience that could help others. I really want people to feel this feeling of empowerment.”

Communications & Marketing Officer

Úna Harty

Why she’s running
“I am passionate about student engagement, that’s my main thing. I find it very frustrating when I meet people who are like: ‘Oh, I don’t know what’s going on there’.”

Entertainments Officer

Jonah Craig

Why he’s running
“Trinity Ents brings life and excitement to our college. I have worked in Ents for three years and am passionate about creating unique events that everyone can enjoy. I believe I have the creativity and ambition to make sure Trinity Ents has the best year yet.”

Editor of The University Times

Dominic McGrath

Why he’s running
“The University Times plays a vital role in Trinity and I want to ensure it covers the biggest issues facing students in Ireland today.”

John Conway, Ciarán Molloy, Patrick Lavelle, Kathleen McNamee, Donal MacNamee, Philip McGuinness, Jamie Sugrue, Jake O’Donnell, Morgan Clarke and Brónagh Kennedy contributed reporting to this piece.