David Ola Elected JCR President on 50.5% of Vote

Ola ran on a platform of increasing society involvement in Trinity Hall and improving participation among Halls residents.

Ciarán MolloyJunior Editor
Lisa Murray for JCR

David Ola was elected President of the JCR this evening, with 50.5 per cent of the vote, after two counts. Con Bartels was elected Vice-President of the JCR.

Hoping to increase intra-house participation and interaction, Ola’s manifesto focused on these issues, promising to bring them to the forefront of the Trinity Hall and JCR events. He also wishes to improve the involvement of societies on Halls. Speaking to The University Times, Ola said: “Halls has been almost untapped for the past few years.” His manifesto included tri-weekly society events, making it independent from the Freshers’ Fair that takes place in September. Ola also campaigned on the promise that the 24-hour work space provided during the month leading up to end of year exams would be extended to the month before Christmas, following the changes to the academic year structure as part of the Trinity Education Project, which could lead to many courses introducing Christmas exams.

Ola received 44.2 per cent of first-preference votes, with 428 valid votes cast.

Aoife Grimes was eventually elected Welfare Officer, after a recount.

At the count, which took place in Mother Reilly’s pub in Rathmines, nine other candidates were elected to the committee. Niamh McCay was elected Music Officer, Guille Castellanos Gonzales was elected International Officer, Shane Kenneally was elected Ents Officer, while Niamh McCay was elected Music Officer. Jaime Castellanos Gonzales, the brother of Guille, was elected Sports Officer, while Stephen McMahon was elected Secretary.

Three positions, Publications Officer, Tech Officer and Communications and Marketing Officer are interview only. They were announced just before the count, with Aoife McColgan, Sinéad McAleer, Aideen Boardman elected to each respective position.

The new JCR committee will take over in May for the 2017/18 academic year.