Health and Sports Week, TEDx and Tech Diversity: Your Week Ahead

The week will also feature a discussion on the Armenian genocide, the Trinity Arts Workshop and Trinitone's fifth anniversary.

Fionnuala EganSocieties Editor

DU Dance will be kicking off Health and Sports Week with a Ballroom & Latin class in Front Square at 1pm. Here you can also enjoy performances from their jazz, hiphop, and Irish dance crews. At 4pm, the first edition of TEDxTrinityCollegeDublin will be taking place in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI). Nine distinguished speakers will present a range of thought-provoking, inspiring talks based on the theme “Place your Bets”. The series will examine the way in which decisions are made and will touch on a variety of exciting topics, including sociology, politics, technology, business, finance, journalism and science.

Trinity Art Workshop will be launching their End of Year Exhibition on Tuesday night from 6.30pm at 191 Pearse St. The exhibition will continue to run until Thursday at 12pm. Meanwhile at 7pm on Tuesday DU History will host a panel discussion on the Armenian genocide. Dr Mark Levene from the University of Southampton, Mr Ohan Yergainharsian from the Armenian Honorary Consul to Ireland and Prof Alan Kramer, from Trinity, will be speaking at this event, which takes place in the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) Common Room.

Wednesday sees NetSoc host a “Diversity in Tech” panel discussion and Q&A session in the Maxwell Theatre on Wednesday at 6pm. Then at 7.30pm, head down to the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB) for the College Historical Society’s (the Hist) debate which will see speakers battling it out to see whether or not “This House Supports Socialism!”

DU Music will be launching the fourth volume of their journal, Writings About Music, this Friday in the Global Room starting from 7pm. Dr Michael Lee will introduce the new volume, and there’ll be live performances on the night, including the premiere of a new piano work by Luke Smyth, a choral performance of a work by Roisin Hayes and a synth-fuelled performance by the Richard Duckworth and Shauna Caffrey duo, Analog On, with material from their recently released album. Then at 7.30pm, Dublin University International Student Society (DUISS) will be hosting an extravagant bash in the Marker Hotel. Expect rooftop views, a three-course meal and an excellent opportunity to get to know students from all over the world! Dance the night away at the afters at Everleigh.

On Saturday, Trinitones will be performing at V, a concert to mark the fifth anniversary of the group. Enjoy this chilled out Saturday evening at the Bello Bar at 7pm.