Lose Your Veginity With Vegan-Friendly Food

Veginity, located just off Camden St, offers an ever-changing menu of plant-based foods based around weekly themes.

Arianna SchardtAssistant Radius Editor
Arianna Schardt for The University Times

Located just off the hustle and bustle of Camden St on Richmond Place South, Veginity is Dublin’s newest plant-based food venture. Opened in 2016 by Australian chef Mark Senn, Veginity serves high-quality and unique vegan food from their Portobello-based indoor food truck.

Every week, the restaurant, which is open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, launches a new three-course menu and a drink. This week, Senn is focusing on root vegetables and has designed an equally appetising and unusual menu around them. Senn, speaking to The University Times, explains how he comes up with weekly themes, which have included themes such as “Little Italy” and “Full Moon Party”: “It could be anything, could be something simple, something really small. We come up with an idea and go ‘can I make a weekend out of it, so to speak?’. So, just testings, to see what people like.”

With a background in hospitality and cookery, Senn has worked in restaurants in Melbourne and at Mildred’s of Soho, London, before moving to Dublin three years ago. He has also published a cookbook called Losing my Veginity and hosted a cooking blog, also called Veginity. He explains that he is currently “in the process of documenting the stuff I do here, taking photos, stuff like that” and is also in the process of writing a cookbook, which will hopefully be released later this year.

He explains that he decided to cut meat from his diet 20 years ago, around the same time he was completing a degree in hospitality management. He explains that there was “a process of educating myself on how to eat properly and eat better, rather than just cutting out meat”. Dublin, especially in the last few years, has become a vegan and vegetarian friendly city, seeing the rise in popularity of restaurants such as Cornucopia, Sprout & Co and HappyFood by YogaHub.

Every week at Veginity, Senn offers vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike the opportunity to indulge in fresh, local and unique plant-based food.