Planning Permission Granted in Lloyd Institute for Global Brain Health Institute Space

The institute will be refurbished to provide new facilities like administrative offices, meeting areas and 40 postdoctoral research laboratory spaces.

Isla HoeStaff Writer

As part of the development of the Trinity’s Global Brain Health Institute (GBHI), Trinity has been granted planning permission by Dublin City Council to replace nine of the existing windows on the ground floor of the Lloyd Institute.

The GBHI project will see space in the Lloyd Institute refurbished to provide a number of new facilities including new administrative offices, meeting areas, 40 postdoctoral research laboratory spaces and seating areas for up to 24 research fellows and scholars. The development will also include the replacement of a current roller shutter with a window on the north facade, facing Pearse St.

The walkway between the Lloyd building and the Sami Nasr Institute of Advanced Materials (SNIAM) building will also see the installation of a new seating area.

Speaking to The University Times by email, Director of Estates and Facilities, Paul Mangan, said he expected the project to receive full planning permission on March 15th, if there are no appeals.

“Once that comes through, approval to appoint the contractor will be sought through the university’s governance process, aiming to start on site by the end of March”, he said.

This GBHI project is part of a collaboration between the University of California, San Francisco and Trinity, funded by a €138 million donation from Chuck Feeney’s foundation, Atlantic Philanthropies. The initiative is working to reduce the scale and impact of dementia around the world and is currently in the process of training Atlantic Fellows on a range of different issues associated with dementia, including the prevention, management and diagnosis of the disease.

Trinity has also applied for planning permission to increase accessibility to the Public Theatre, commonly known as the Exam Hall, and the College Chapel in Front Square, with the installation of two lifts. This is part of a series of small infrastructure projects taking place across campus, which includes work to widen and extend the current ramp outside the Arts Block.

Large-scale construction is also currently taking place across campus, as the development of the new Trinity Business School at the old site of Luce Hall continues, and the upgrade to the campus voltage system begins. The development of Oisín House into a 250-bed accommodation project is also expected to begin shortly.